SCOTUS Says Yes To War Memorial Cross In MD

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Nemo, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Maryland case regarding War Memorial Cross in cemetary. CoA 4th Circuit shot down.

Nemo

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/su...se-of-maryland-war-memorial-shaped-like-cross

Click above to read it all.

2. codegeek

codegeek codegeek reincarnate

Hmmmm... Hardly shot down.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I see plenty of pets' graves marked by a cross.
    Does that mean the dog or cat buried there was a follower of Jesus Christ?
    Did that pet have salvation and will be resurrected?
    There's a good argument that today, a cross is just another symbol of memorial, grief, loss, etc.

4. gunsmoker

Although I'm an "original intent" kind of guy. I say we look at the intent of the people that put up the memorial all those years ago. It was 100 years ago that this town in Maryland put up that giant cross to memorialize their casualties of the Great War, AKA "The World War," later known as World War One. So, was the Christian cross used as a symbol of the faith of the war dead, and calling upon the community to honor them as fallen Christians...
    ... or was that cross just a symbol of a burial place, so that the town wanted to figuratively have the veterans buried in a very visible place to constantly remind the public of their deaths, and so the cross as used in that way just means death and a grave?

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

So this cross spends its days proselytizing for the Christian faith to all who see it? We, as a country, can't allow this to continue unabated. Think of the children, man! :groupprotest:

Then we can tackle Arlington National Cemetery. It allows latin cross, star of david, wicca, hammer of thor, shinto, muslim and a crap ton of other religious symbols on its headstones. What were they thinking! :panic:

https://www.cem.va.gov/cem/docs/emblems.pdf

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Good Ruling. 7-2 decision. Ginsburg, Sotomayer were the 2. Many fractured opinions, with agreement on final holding but differed on reasoning.

Nemo

https://apnews.com/6157d29563584c35a2adf6a004f89117

7. gunsmoker

8. moe mensale

I'm offended by all these morons being offended by anything and everything. I guess this court will be more immune to finding new "rights" unlike its predecessor courts were fond of doing.

9. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

It is good the Court made the decision they did, however I am offended that you are offended.

10. moe mensale

I would expect nothing less from you! :lol:

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

In The News is for firearms and 2A In the News. Moved to Off Topic.