Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The answer yes it is...she said she didn't see that where she was from. I asked her where that was and she said Scotland. I said yeah you probably don't as many rights have been stolen from your countrymen...I mentioned the right to bear arms is secured by the Magna Carta, the United Stated Constitution and the Georgia state constitution 8)

I wonder if she is here for the filming of Xmen first class or not...iirc the movies is supposed to be set in Scotland but they are filming some of it on Jekyll Island and maybe shes here because shes has an accent??? or maybe shes just not :?:

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
Scotland....Scotland.... isn't that the land where a Scotsman wasn't considered properly dressed unless he had a skean dhu properly tucked into the top of his stocking before venturing out into the world?

I guess that with the move from kilts to skirts the tradition kinda got left in the dust of history.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fallschirmjäger said:
Scotland....Scotland.... isn't that the land where a Scotsman wasn't considered properly dressed unless he had a skean dhu properly tucked into the top of his stocking before venturing out into the world?

I guess that with the move from kilts to skirts the tradition kinda got left in the dust of history.
my uncle wears one when hes dressed in his kilt

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:

There was also a time when a gentleman in civilized society wasn't considered properly dressed in public unless he had a sword strapped to his side.

Later, a gentleman wasn't considered properly dressed unless he had at least one sort of pistol somewhere about his person (concealed or otherwise).

A gentleman who wasn't prepared and able to defend his lady at any moment wasn't considered a gentleman at all.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,914 Posts
Nah, I just wear it for looks, its plastic. :lol:

We had some really great Scottish people when I lived in Augusta. Their group or club met at a local restaurant once a month, and I'd make sure I made it up there. They were awesome. I'd tell them my names and where my family is from, (Edinburgh), and they would buy all my Guinness for the rest of the night. Good people, love to drink, and friendly as can be.

I'm not really too aware of the gun laws in Scotland, but I'm guessing guns are banned there? Is that right?

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EJR914 said:
Nah, I just wear it for looks, its plastic. :lol:

We had some really great Scottish people when I lived in Augusta. Their group or club met at a local restaurant once a month, and I'd make sure I made it up there. They were awesome. I'd tell them my names and where my family is from, (Edinburgh), and they would buy all my Guinness for the rest of the night. Good people, love to drink, and friendly as can be.

I'm not really too aware of the gun laws in Scotland, but I'm guessing guns are banned there? Is that right?
id assume since its part of the UK? i dont even think their olympic teams can train there

·
Registered
703 Posts
I got into this discussion last time I was in Edinburgh with some of the locals. From what I gathered, handguns and non-existent except for LEO in cars. The beat cop just has a baton. If a gun is needed, a car is dispatched. Long guns are legal but have to be registered. I get the impression it's mostly shotguns. Back in June there was a guy that went off the deep end and went around a town in England called Workington, shooting folks at random with a shotgun. He took a shot at his best friend, point blank from the driver's seat of his car and only grazed his cheek with a couple of pellets. Guess it wasn't his time.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Good girls don't ask. Bad girls don't tell.

·
Super Moderator
69,892 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
"Ach, me bonny lass, aye aye... an' tis the Danny Deaver for you if'n ye ken to be toochin it."
I'm not even sure what this means, but it made me laugh anyway.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,700 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
CoffeeMate said:
"Ach, me bonny lass, aye aye... an' tis the Danny Deaver for you if'n ye ken to be toochin it."
TRANSLATION:
Yes dear lady, it is. And don't touch it-- that's a capital offense.

(Just goes to prove anything sounds better with a Scottish accent)

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
gunsmoker said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
CoffeeMate said:
TRANSLATION:
Yes dear lady, it is. And don't touch it-- that's a capital offense.

(Just goes to prove anything sounds better with a Scottish accent)
:lol:
:righton:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,914 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
CoffeeMate said:
I'm lucky enough to know what he meant. It does really sound better in Scottish dialect and slang. I used to hear such talk when I hung out with them. :D :righton:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,914 Posts
I may be mistaken, but didn't the Southern Accent in part come from the Scottish accent and dialect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English

Appears it is in part because of Scot-Irish immigrants, such as my family, who came into this country in the early 1700's as far as we can tell.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts