Schools - Terrorist Dream Target?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

VCDL Alert:

The item below is taken from an on-line discussion board primarily composed of professionals in training, education, and material support activities for public and private safety and security... in other words, professionals who know what's what and live it.

The subject of this particular conversation is related to the many school districts now - finally - allowing their School Resource Officers to carry patrol long arms. The cited post reflects a belief of most professionals, resonating across the nation that most schools are very soft targets for those who would advance their agendas by terrorizing us through our children.

-Andy Barr

4 Jan 07

At a just-concluded terrorism seminar in NJ, colleagues Dave Grossman and Chuck Remsberg warned of the high likelihood of terrorist attacks on American schools and school children. Terrorists' predicable goal is to inflict maximum mayhem and death as a way of bursting onto our national headlines, just as was the case at Beslan. However, what struck me most was the terrorists' thinking process in selecting targets. They may be crazy, but they're not stupid:

Unlikely targets include schools in states that have "Shall-Issue" CCW laws, where parents dropping off and picking up children, or attending school activities may well be armed (contemptuously ignoring stupid "no-guns-on-school-property" rules) and likely to enthusiastically engage, with lethal force, those attempting to harm their children. Terrorists find that eventuality most inconvenient!

Unlikely targets also include schools where emergency planning has a high priority in the community, is well publicized, and visibly-armed police officers are continuously present and maintain high profile.

Likely targets include isolated schools in rural areas, where law enforcement and EMS resources are stretched thin and are easily overwhelmed and where bad, winter weather makes travel difficult, slowing and complicating response.

Likely targets include affluent school districts in big, metro areas or posh suburbs, where "emergency planning" is a subject so unpleasant that the community just doesn't want it discussed, even among police. These are the same places where police beat cars contain neither rifles nor shotguns, and even uniformed police are supposed to be unarmed on school property. Let's just call it Lemming City!

Likely targets include school districts close to the Mexican or Canadian border, where entire teams of terrorists can easily slip into the USA, achieve their goals, and then slip back across the border where they'll likely escape capture indefinitely.

I wonder if it will take a Beslan-like incident to persuade Americans that children need to be continuously protected by armed adults. It is time for Americans parents, teachers, and school administrators to get tough or die!

2. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Do you think that is really necessary... to turn our schools into fortified camps? Should we really be preparing our schools for attacks like those that happened in Belsan? Sure, having a resource officer or two, or allowing any legal adult to carry firearms in schools MAY prevent a crime. Convenience stores here in GA get robbed all the time and it's not illegal for cashiers to carry guns.

I'm all for making schools safer, but if you consider just how many schools are in the United States, I think the money would be better spent on border security. The argument of "protecting the children" is getting old... that's one reason our gun rights are always in jeapordy. I don't have kids... but I think I would rather home-school them than have them watched over by a contingent of an anti-terrorism response force.

Of COURSE they are 'soft' targets. Even more vulnerable are churches, shopping malls, any place with a high building and an open window etc.. etc...

A WMD will roll over any protection you have in schools. That's the kind of thing that "I" think we should be worrying about.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Like the principal and the teachers?
    How about just letting the parents carry when walking into the buildings?

You don't have to have a force, allow those already there to protect the kids.

4. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Would that really stop a terrorist attack against determined enemies as the article suggests?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_sch ... age_crisis

32 ARMED ATTACKERS perpretrated this act. No amount of arming of principals or parents bringing their kids to school will stop this. It's ludicrous to base our school security based on this act alone. I'm sure your average CCW'er would take on 10 well armed terrorists himself, but lets look at what really happened.

The real guilty party in this (Beslan) school shooting was the Russian government. They diffused the hostage situation by using lethal amounts of gas, killing both terrorists and children alike.

Not a good comparison and not something any country can prepare for. Ludicrous. Only way to guard against 32 armed terrorists attacking any school is to post a contingent of national guard outside every door, with crew served weapons and mechanized support. The day those show up at schools, I'LL be the terrorist! lol!

Day 3

Lot of good it did.

Fatalities
    Civilians 344
    Emergency workers 4
    Special forces 11
    Local police 5
    Total 359

Not exactly a case study for arming parents and resource officers. Good precedent, bad example. The moment I hear "It's for the children", I become skeptical. That just screams "feel good" laws to me.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Beslan is different from the U.S. Different attackers than what we are likely to face as well.

The attackers in Russia looked like Russians and could drive or walk from home to the school. Could you imagine 32 Arabs trying to secretly arrange an attack on a school in the U.S. Much less chance of success.

I posted it for interesting reading only, but the far more likely attacker of an American school is the lone gunman, for which allowing armed adults is probably sufficient.

For the children? Well, how about for yourself when at a school for some reason?

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I am not saying it would stop every single type of attack against a school.

However many of these 1 to 2 person attackers that we have been having in the US could probably be stopped.

7. Malum Prohibitum

The other side of the coin is: How does the ban on firearms contribute to preventing a mass murder?

Will it stop even one?

8. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Hey MP:

Here's where you can to go to get an answer to that question.

Interesting site. I'm sure you'll enjoy visiting.......!

http://www.bradycampaign.org/

9. Malum Prohibitum

I bookmarked it for my favorites. That is a very informative site! :lol:

10. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun Member

the brady bunch

that web sight makes me sick :oops:

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Re: the brady bunch

If you want to get violently ill, just go down the center column of my anti-gun links page.

12. Purge

Purge Member

I’m a school teacher and I think teachers and parents should have the right to carry in schools. Think about it. I’m supervising my 1800 students in an assembly when a terrorist enters. Within seconds I could have eliminated the threat. A terrorist enters the front door and starts shooting. The intercom announces “intruder alert†and there is lockdown. The Teacher Toting Unit Force or TTUF jumps into action to take out the intruder within seconds. It could happen... it could work.

The biggest problem in the metro area is that there are so many trailers around the schools that you can’t lock all the doors.

13. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun Member

Re: the brady bunch

SORRY ABOUT THE MESS I JUST COULDNT HOLD MY LUNCH ANY LONGER. thay just dont get it do thay, the ones you have to watchout for are the one that dont care if you make gun laws tuffer thay didnt care about the laws then thay dont care about the laws now and thay wont care about the laws that come in the future. the law abiding citizen is the only one gitting hurt. :soapbox:

14. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

How about 32 Spanish-speaking Arabs that having been living and training in South America. They could drive up to a school in vans with a bunch of ladders on top without much fanfare.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/22028.html