Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Georgia makes gun possession on school property a felony, with up to ten years imprisonment and a $10,000 fine.

:shock:

A lot of other states allow carry at Universities. I stole this list from somebody over at packing.org:

Here's the list
Alabama, Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Deleware, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana*, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota* + **, Missouri*, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia* + ***, Washington, West Virginia*.

*postings have weight of law
**students can be restricted from cc/possession by law
***except a "Virginia Commonwealth University"

Counted up thats 26 states and from the look of the states over 50% of the population with 20 shall issue states and 6 may issue states allowing it.

BTW, my home state of PA which allows cc at colleges/universities also has the largest permit hold population, over 600,000. Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
A lot of other states allow carry at Universities.

Louisiana*

*postings have weight of law
Interesting. There are signs on every road going into the LSU campus. :x

It's actually kinda odd given how liberally the castle doctrine has been applied in Louisana. I seem to remember some case where a homeowner shot this guy (a foreign exchange student who was lost) that had wondered into his yard at night; I'm pretty sure he got off free and clear.

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the list accurate? Compare to GCO map . . .

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rankhornjp said:
Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Missouri, New York, Rhode Island

Are not listed correctly on the GCO Map: http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/about/p ... iversities
Are they not listed correctly on the GCO map or not listed correctly on the above list? I have a hard time believing Maryland and New York, for example, do not outlaw possession of firearms at universities (although stranger things have happened, as California does not outlaw it for those with a license).

·
Registered
5 Posts
First off, let me say that I usually keep my pistol in my car at all times. I often drop off and pick up my younger brother from high school. Is it unlawful for me to have my pistol in my car while I am on campus or at least 1,000' from campus? The way the laws are worded are sort of confusing.

Thanks

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Iam99x said:
First off, let me say that I usually keep my pistol in my car at all times. I often drop off and pick up my younger brother from high school. Is it unlawful for me to have my pistol in my car while I am on campus or at least 1,000' from campus? The way the laws are worded are sort of confusing.

Thanks
Here:
(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:

. . .
(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 . . . when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property . . .
Ok, so who is comparing the list to the map and coming up with all the right answers?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
rankhornjp said:

Are not listed correctly on the GCO Map: http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/about/p ... iversities
Are they not listed correctly on the GCO map or not listed correctly on the above list? I have a hard time believing Maryland and New York, for example, do not outlaw possession of firearms at universities (although stranger things have happened, as California does not outlaw it for those with a license).
The ones I listed are not listed as "good to go" on the GCO map, so the list is saying the opposite of the map. Don't know yet which one is accurate.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
The state code O.C.G.A 16-11-127.1 carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, and school property...

is very confusing, grey and ambiguous...

Shall NOT apply
Exception 7) a person is a GFL holder, and is carrying or picks up a student. (does not say whose student it might be, just a student)
never mentions picking up a staff member, teacher or otherwise..

exception 17) Teacher and other school personnel wha are otherwised authorized to possess or carry weapons.
(authoized how? A GFL license, written approval from a School authority?)

Being a parent, and district school employee , this needs to be clarified.

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shagwag3n said:
so it's illegal to carry even on private college/university campus'?
Felony with ten years imprisonment.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
rankhornjp said:

According to Handgunlaw.us:

Indiana: Schools off limits
Louisiana: Schools off limits, unless kept in vehicle
Maine: Off limits
Maryland: Off limits
Missouri: Not criminal, but subject to $100 fine(1st time, $200 AND susp of permit for 1 year for 2nd offence in 6 months) if you don't leave when/if asked
New York: ???????
RI: Off limits shall NOT apply to colleges, universities, or junior colleges.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
bdee said:
The info is not true in California. Open Carry is wrong.
California is OK to carry on campus with a permit. Penal code: 12050

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Except most areas you can't get a permit.

And it is illegal in any state university or community college.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
bdee said:
Except most areas you can't get a permit.

And it is illegal in any state university or community college.
Don't know how hard it is.... but, IF you get one, you are exempt.

From the CA State's AG website: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf
Firearms on School Grounds
It is unlawful for any person to possess or bring a firearm upon the grounds of, into, or
within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school providing instruction in
kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or a campus of the University of California,
California State University, or California community colleges. (Penal Code § 626.9.)

Exceptions
• A person who has the written permission of the school district superintendent,
designee, or equivalent school authority.
• Within a place of residence or place of business or on private property, if the place
of residence, place of business, or private property is not part of the school grounds
and the possession of the firearm is otherwise lawful.
• If the firearm is an unloaded handgun in a locked container or within the locked
trunk of a motor vehicle, or the otherwise lawful transportation of an unloaded long
gun.
• The possession or transportation of firearms by a person who is engaged in the
business of manufacturing, importing, wholesaling, repairing, or dealing in firearms
and who is licensed to engage in that business or the authorized representative or
authorized agent of that person while engaged in the lawful course of business.
• Guards or messengers of common carriers, banks, and other financial institutions
while actually employed in and about the shipment, transportation, or delivery of
money, treasure, etc.
• Transportation of unloaded firearms by a person operating a licensed common
50 California Firearms Laws 2005
carrier or an authorized agent or employee thereof when transported in conformance
with applicable federal law.
• The carrying of unloaded handguns by duly authorized military or civil
organizations while parading or the members thereof when going to and from the
places of meeting of their respective organizations.
• Any peace officer pursuant to Penal Code section 830 who is carrying out official
duties.
• Any person summoned by such peace officer to assist in making an arrest or
preserving the peace while actually so engaged.
• Members of federal or state military forces while engaged in performance of duty.
• Any person authorized to carry a concealed firearm pursuant to Penal Code section

• An armored vehicle guard while engaged in performance of duty pursuant to
Business and Professions Code section 7521.
• A security guard authorized to carry a loaded firearm pursuant to Penal Code section
• An existing shooting range at a public or private school or university or college
campus.
• An honorably retired peace officer authorized to carry a concealed or loaded firearm.

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
California has basically nothing off limits if you obtain a license. The Capitol building, the Governor's mansion, schools, airports, are all ok if you get the license. As for the difficulty of obtaining the license - more than 50,000 people have one. Some people will look at that and say, gee, that is not very many compared to Georgia, but, I have to add that I lived in California for 5 years, and I did not know a single person who even applied.

It might be like NYC, where everybody thinks it is impossible to get a carry license, but statistics every year show that the vast majority are approved, something like 85-90%.

Just the reputation can keep people from applying.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts