Schools - even private, adult schools

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Malum Prohibitum, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Georgia makes gun possession on school property a felony, with up to ten years imprisonment and a $10,000 fine.

:shock:

A lot of other states allow carry at Universities. I stole this list from somebody over at packing.org:

Here's the list
    Alabama, Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Deleware, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana*, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota* + **, Missouri*, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia* + ***, Washington, West Virginia*.

*postings have weight of law
    **students can be restricted from cc/possession by law
    ***except a "Virginia Commonwealth University"

Counted up thats 26 states and from the look of the states over 50% of the population with 20 shall issue states and 6 may issue states allowing it.

BTW, my home state of PA which allows cc at colleges/universities also has the largest permit hold population, over 600,000. Good luck and I hope this helps.

2. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Interesting. There are signs on every road going into the LSU campus. :x

It's actually kinda odd given how liberally the castle doctrine has been applied in Louisana. I seem to remember some case where a homeowner shot this guy (a foreign exchange student who was lost) that had wondered into his yard at night; I'm pretty sure he got off free and clear.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Is the list accurate? Compare to GCO map . . .

4. rankhornjp

rankhornjp New Member

5. Malum Prohibitum

Are they not listed correctly on the GCO map or not listed correctly on the above list? I have a hard time believing Maryland and New York, for example, do not outlaw possession of firearms at universities (although stranger things have happened, as California does not outlaw it for those with a license).

6. Iam99x

Iam99x New Member

First off, let me say that I usually keep my pistol in my car at all times. I often drop off and pick up my younger brother from high school. Is it unlawful for me to have my pistol in my car while I am on campus or at least 1,000' from campus? The way the laws are worded are sort of confusing.

Thanks

7. Malum Prohibitum

Here:

Ok, so who is comparing the list to the map and coming up with all the right answers?

8. Iam99x

Iam99x New Member

I'm still confused.

9. rankhornjp

rankhornjp New Member

The ones I listed are not listed as "good to go" on the GCO map, so the list is saying the opposite of the map. Don't know yet which one is accurate.....

10. fiercerevan268

fiercerevan268 New Member

you can pick up a student at a school you do not attend.

11. shagwag3n

shagwag3n New Member

so it's illegal to carry even on private college/university campus'?

12. frankr

frankr Active Member

But if you are picking up a teacher or other staff member then it is a crime :shock:

13. yxhpxfw

yxhpxfw New Member

The state code O.C.G.A 16-11-127.1 carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, and school property...

is very confusing, grey and ambiguous...

Shall NOT apply
    Exception 7) a person is a GFL holder, and is carrying or picks up a student. (does not say whose student it might be, just a student)
    never mentions picking up a staff member, teacher or otherwise..

exception 17) Teacher and other school personnel wha are otherwised authorized to possess or carry weapons.
    (authoized how? A GFL license, written approval from a School authority?)

Being a parent, and district school employee , this needs to be clarified.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Felony with ten years imprisonment.

15. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

The info is not true in California. Open Carry is wrong.

16. rankhornjp

rankhornjp New Member

According to Handgunlaw.us:

Indiana: Schools off limits
    Louisiana: Schools off limits, unless kept in vehicle
    Maine: Off limits
    Maryland: Off limits
    Missouri: Not criminal, but subject to $100 fine(1st time, $200 AND susp of permit for 1 year for 2nd offence in 6 months) if you don't leave when/if asked
    New York: ???????
    RI: Off limits shall NOT apply to colleges, universities, or junior colleges.

17. rankhornjp

rankhornjp New Member

California is OK to carry on campus with a permit. Penal code: 12050

18. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Except most areas you can't get a permit.

And it is illegal in any state university or community college.

19. rankhornjp

rankhornjp New Member

Don't know how hard it is.... but, IF you get one, you are exempt.

From the CA State's AG website: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf

20. Malum Prohibitum

California has basically nothing off limits if you obtain a license. The Capitol building, the Governor's mansion, schools, airports, are all ok if you get the license. As for the difficulty of obtaining the license - more than 50,000 people have one. Some people will look at that and say, gee, that is not very many compared to Georgia, but, I have to add that I lived in California for 5 years, and I did not know a single person who even applied.

It might be like NYC, where everybody thinks it is impossible to get a carry license, but statistics every year show that the vast majority are approved, something like 85-90%.

Just the reputation can keep people from applying.