Georgiapacking.org banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,727 Posts
I don't have a container, but in my Trailblazer there's a compartment in the rear side panel for the jack. If I'm going off limits, and somewhere that I'm concerned about the glove box, ill out my pistol in there and use a cable lock (like the ones that come with a new gun) to lock it to the bracket that the jack attaches to. It's well out if sight and locked. It also has a storage area under the floor in the back that is about 12 x 12 x 3, that I've been thinking of bolting an eye bolt into that I could lock my gun to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
iwb32 said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
I was recently fingerprinted at Emory University PD for my Utah Firearms License. The fingerprinting officer made the statement that they have arrested "several" otherwise law abiding individuals for possession of a firearm within a school safety zone within the last year. Felony.
:roll: :roll: :roll: I call BS. To the best of my knowledge over the past few years, I only remember reading about a single incident involving EPD in which a suspect was found in possession of a firearm within 1000 feet of a school zone. If I remember correctly, the weapon was only recovered as a result of a vehicle search incident to an arrest, and there was no mention made of charges being filed for the gun possession.

Although the Emory area attracts a lot of traffic which falls within the 1000 feet of a school zone law, the 20 or so officers of Emory PD spend the vast majority of their time patrolling the various on campus buildings, parts of the hospital, providing security escorts, busting kids for smoking pot in the dorms, chasing after druken students who run through the wooden parking gates etc. The odds that they would encounter an 'otherwise law abiding citizen' who was illegally carrying during their normal daily routines are slim to none.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,118 Posts
Just passing on what he said. I asked him to confirm it twice, by repeating details with a question mark.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
They also missed the fact that if I am dropping off or picking up a student, it need not be locked away anywhere.
If you must leave the vehicle to actually go inside (public or private elementary school, secondary school) to sign out a student, where is the GFL holders firearm to be located?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,118 Posts
Interesting question, isn't it?

I interpret it to mean inside the building, if you need to do that to carry or pick up a student at a school building. This is not legal advice to you, and I am not your lawyer. I am just telling you how I personally interpret it. The law does not apply to:

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or any weapon legally kept within a vehicle in transit through a designated school zone by any person other than a student;
If it was only for "in the vehicle," then why add the last part about any weapon being legally kept within a vehicle in transit? Why have the part about licensed people at all? They could have said "any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when carrying or picking up a student or when in transit through a designated school zone . . ."

It would have been a lot shorter and a lot simpler. I think they added the extra stuff for a reason.

Your thoughts?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
Sure makes me nervous, but not obviously nervous. CC of course!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Interesting question, isn't it?

I interpret it to mean inside the building if you need to do that to
You would be arrested if discovered.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
I second your opinion. For me its not worth taking a chance at a school right now but I do CC in my three year olds daycare which is a state funded pre-school in a privately owned building.

However, when I do leave my firearm inside my vehicle when I have to enter into the school building to check out my thirteen year old daughter early from school, I leave it in my locked car but not in a locked compartment or container.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
I also thought about OCing my empty holster inside to the jr high school office and leavinig my revolver inside a locked compartment inside my locked Jeep. Popcorn anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Interesting question, isn't it?

I interpret it to mean inside the building, if you need to do that to carry or pick up a student at a school building. This is not legal advice to you, and I am not your lawyer. I am just telling you how I personally interpret it. The law does not apply to:

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or any weapon legally kept within a vehicle in transit through a designated school zone by any person other than a student;
If it was only for "in the vehicle," then why add the last part about any weapon being legally kept within a vehicle in transit? Why have the part about licensed people at all? They could have said "any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when carrying or picking up a student or when in transit through a designated school zone . . ."

It would have been a lot shorter and a lot simpler. I think they added the extra stuff for a reason.

Your thoughts?
Interesting. However, I suspect that you would be arrested if discovered and forced to sort this out in court, fighting a felony gun conviction, without certainty of winning. I have been told by a school resource officer that "only certified police officers can carry on school property" and that he would even "check out" LEOs that he didn't know who he discovered carrying on school property.

Personally, I think the risk isn't worth the benefit. The odds of being discovered within the school is greater than the possibility of you having to use your weapon for the 5-10 minutes that you are likely to spend while entering the school in such a situation.

Then you have the whole "is a public school also simultaneously a PG" argument that has been entertained here before...
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,118 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Then you have the whole "is a public school also simultaneously a PG" argument that has been entertained here before...
More specific controls over more general, but my son is in private school, so this is not a consideration in my decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
I agree that clearly the statute contemplates GFL holders carrying while picking up their child. Statutory construction will not stand for calling all that verbiage surplussage. It has meaning distinct from the 'in transit' verbiage.

Interestingly, all last year the doors to my children's elementary school had a stark 'No Guns' sign on them. I mentioned to my wife several times that that wasn't exactly true, given 127.1, and that those signs were a bit misleading. Well, this year they have been changed to a sign which prints, in all it's parts and glory, 16-11-127.1. I wonder if someone complained or if the Board handed a new signage policy. I sincerely doubt the principal took this up on his own. I suppose I'm a bit embarrassed that I did not ever get around to complaining to the principal myself :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Interesting question, isn't it?

I interpret it to mean inside the building, if you need to do that to carry or pick up a student at a school building. This is not legal advice to you, and I am not your lawyer. I am just telling you how I personally interpret it. The law does not apply to:

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or any weapon legally kept within a vehicle in transit through a designated school zone by any person other than a student;
If it was only for "in the vehicle," then why add the last part about any weapon being legally kept within a vehicle in transit? Why have the part about licensed people at all? They could have said "any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when carrying or picking up a student or when in transit through a designated school zone . . ."

It would have been a lot shorter and a lot simpler. I think they added the extra stuff for a reason.

Your thoughts?
IANAL but this looks like it should be interpreted as two parts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
kkennett said:
I agree that clearly the statute contemplates GFL holders carrying while picking up their child. Statutory construction will not stand for calling all that verbiage surplussage. It has meaning distinct from the 'in transit' verbiage.

Interestingly, all last year the doors to my children's elementary school had a stark 'No Guns' sign on them. I mentioned to my wife several times that that wasn't exactly true, given 127.1, and that those signs were a bit misleading. Well, this year they have been changed to a sign which prints, in all it's parts and glory, 16-11-127.1. I wonder if someone complained or if the Board handed a new signage policy. I sincerely doubt the principal took this up on his own. I suppose I'm a bit embarrassed that I did not ever get around to complaining to the principal myself :?
Any chance you can ask someone there in the office?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
pwr2al4 said:
iwb32 said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
I was recently fingerprinted at Emory University PD for my Utah Firearms License. The fingerprinting officer made the statement that they have arrested "several" otherwise law abiding individuals for possession of a firearm within a school safety zone within the last year. Felony.
:roll: :roll: :roll: I call BS. To the best of my knowledge over the past few years, I only remember reading about a single incident involving EPD in which a suspect was found in possession of a firearm within 1000 feet of a school zone. If I remember correctly, the weapon was only recovered as a result of a vehicle search incident to an arrest, and there was no mention made of charges being filed for the gun possession.

Although the Emory area attracts a lot of traffic which falls within the 1000 feet of a school zone law, the 20 or so officers of Emory PD spend the vast majority of their time patrolling the various on campus buildings, parts of the hospital, providing security escorts, busting kids for smoking pot in the dorms, chasing after druken students who run through the wooden parking gates etc. The odds that they would encounter an 'otherwise law abiding citizen' who was illegally carrying during their normal daily routines are slim to none.
Just thought I'd bump this post with new information I just read about another incident regarding someone keeping a loaded pistol on school property. A few days ago an Emory Employee's car was broken into in one of the parking decks and his pistol was stolen from a 'locked box in a duffel bag' on his front seat. who knows what that means. The value of the gun was reported at costing 670 I believe so if I had to go way out on a limb I bet he had either a glock or some pistol sitting in its original plastic case with a small luggage lock or something around it I assume to try stay legal for keeping a gun on school property. Regardless, once again a police report was taken on the damaged car and the stolen gun, but no charges were filed on the gun owner.
 
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Top