School Zone Question

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by EagleEye920, Apr 12, 2007.

1. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

I currently work at a university as a Staff Member. I do NOT park on campus but park near it. On campus is too expensive. Sometimes where I park may be within 1000 ft of the university property. Also, between the university and where I park, there is an elementary school. I definitely park within 1000 feet of the elementary school and walk by it everyday.

The way I see it, even if I was to park on university property, section c-17 of the law would exempt me since I'm not a student and would leave my gun locked in the glove box. And the elementary school would just be a zone that I am passing through with lawful business (going to work). does that make sense or would that make me a felon :jail: :?

Second Question: I've heard of a few car break ins near where I park. What happens when you file a police report for break ins. do you tell them what is missing (assuming a gun was stolen) I guess you would. but then would they cuff you :handcuffs: and throw you in the slammer :jail:

I'm not looking to be the test case.... :shattered:

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

So, it need not be unloaded. Just loaded and ready to steal.

I should think this applies to your school, not any school, so the elementary school requires a separate analysis.

Do you actually bring it on to the elementary school property?

Do you actually work in the elementary school zone, or should we interpret this as "a" school zone, since the statute uses the indefinite article? Of course, it would read funny if it used the definite article.
    :?

3. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

I would not bring it onto the elementary school property (or university for that matter). Just leave it in the glove box while I get out, walk past the elementary school to the university and go to work.

I do not work on the elementary school property, but my desk is within 1000 feet of the elementary school property. The 2 1000 ft zones overlap.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Ah, ha! :D

I think you should be fine, then, so long as you do not take it onto actual school property. You work in the school "safety" zone.

And it is a good thing, too, because it is notoriously unsafe just outside of the "safety" zone! :shock:

5. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

this is what is on the UGA police website

http://www.police.uga.edu/documents/uga_weapons_policy.pdf

MEMORANDUM

TO: UGA Faculty, Staff, and Students

RE: Possession of Weapons on Campus

In light of past and recent incidents involving weapons on campus, the University of Georgia has adopted a revised Firearms, Weapons, and Explosives policy. The policy conforms to Georgia statutes which address the possession of weapons on University property. The policy follows in its entirety:

University of Georgia

Firearms, Weapons, and Explosives Policy

The University has deemed the following actions to be prohibited by state law and/or University policy. Violation of this policy will result in appropriate action, including but not limited to termination, dismissal and/or criminal prosecution, if it finds that a student, employee or visitor to campus engages in any of the following:
    Using, possessing, manufacturing, distributing, maintaining, transporting or receiving, in a residence hall, any location on University property or at any University sponsored event, any of the following:
    (a) firearm or weapon whether operable or inoperable as defined in Georgia
    Code Section 16-11-127.1 or any object of like character, including but
    not limited to paintball guns, BB guns, potato guns, air soft guns or any
    device which propels a projectile of any kind;
    (b) any dangerous weapon, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun or rifle, shotgun
    or silencer as defined in Georgia Code Section 16-11-121;
    (c) any bacteriological weapon, biological weapon, destructive device,
    detonator, explosive, incendiary, over-pressure device or poison gas as
    defined in Georgia Code Section 16-7-80;
    (d) any explosive materials as defined in Georgia Code Section 16-7-81; or
    (e) any hoax device, replica of a destructive device or configuration of
    explosive materials with the appearance of a destructive device, including
    but not limited to, fake bombs, packages containing substances with the
    appearance of chemical explosives or toxic materials.

Williamson Page 2

The possession of a valid firearms permit, or a valid license to carry a concealed weapon, does not exempt students from the provisions of this policy or provisions detailed in Georgia Code Section 16-11-127.1. Under these provisions, students are prohibited from possessing, manufacturing, etc. weapons as defined above anywhere on University property.

These provisions do not prohibit the possession by non-students (i.e. faculty, staff, and visitors to campus) of weapons or devices which are legal to possess, provided such a device is kept in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle, or a locked container or
    locked firearms rack within a motor vehicle.

Under Georgia Code Section 16-11-127.1(c)(5)(E), campus police officers are not prohibited from carrying weapons on the University of Georgia campus.

For further information, see Georgia Code Section 16-11-127.1, or contact the University Police Department.[/url]

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Don't tell them that. Their head might explode.

7. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

lol.... ramm I am trying to get a job there so be nice

8. Malum Prohibitum

They also missed the fact that if I am dropping off or picking up a student, it need not be locked away anywhere.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Does this apply to anyone dropping off a student?

10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Is he saying in the statement above that employees of UGA and visitors can bring firearms on campus property as long as they are locked up in your vehicle?? :-k

11. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

georgia glocker that is what I think...

12. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

So, my 05 Nissan Frontier does not having a locking *anything* (glove box, console). If the passenger compartment is locked, of course I'm sure that wouldn't suffice. What a bunch of weenies.

13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I'm in the same boat. Anybody want to add their .02 for folks that don't have anything that locks in their vehicle?

14. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

easiest answer is probably to just buy a cheap case/bag that locks. I don't believe it needs to be mounted. :2cents:

I find the whole "locked compartment/container" thing dumb though. If I lock my door, my car is a locked container. Why must I have ANOTHER locked compartment/container to put my gun in? oh well. :) I'll just use my glove box for now.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

16. Malum Prohibitum

I am not a student! :wink:

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Yeah, I know...but if I were to drop off a friend on campus...would I be covered?

18. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

ramm, i don't think so if you are enrolled at that school

19. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I'm in the same boat. Anybody want to add their .02 for folks that don't have anything that locks in their vehicle? [/quote:26l9x8zn]

It sucks. :2cents: :lol:

Seriously though, if you don't have GFL I guess you're just screwed. After all, you can't put it some where other than the glove box, center console, or in plain view. so much for the assertion that the "policy conforms to Georgia statutes which address the possession of weapons".

20. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I've been thinking of getting one of these. Does anyone here have some kind of container in their vehicle (aside from something that is original equipment on the vehicle) that they use to secure their firearm when going into a victim zone?