School Violence on Rise

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

School Violence on Rise

At least this report is honest enough to include that students are 50 times more likely to be the victim of crime away from school than at school . . .
  2. Foul

Foul New Member

I wonder what happened to good old fashioned fist fights like when I was in school.
    Those were a blast.

3. wwomack

wwomack New Member

Seems to me that this small rise in numbers isn't really statistically meaningful. If, out of the thousands (millions?) of school students, 2 more deaths occur, you can't really say that's a trend.

Plus, I would rather see numbers for a longer period of time before making any kind of judgment.

Something about those numbers seems a little odd. If you look at the table at ... e_01_1.asp you see that all through the 90s we were averaging 30 homicides at school per year. Then, the number dropped by 20 in 1999 and stayed relatively low for years. I wonder what happened that year or if the criteria was changed for how they defined "school homicides".
  4. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Boy I sure do remember the stories my father used to tell me about when he and a few of his buddies would carry guns to school on a regular basis. Either for show and tell or for hunting/shooting afterwards. This was back in the 50's and 60's. No problem with school violence then...

Now all weapons are completely banned from school and school violence is pretty much prevelent. How times have changed...