Georgiapacking.org banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
My line of work needs more folks like Shirley Katz. I am still afraid to carry on campus although I believe that GA law is on my side since I am a faculty member who is authorized by the state with my GFL. I just don't want to be a test case....

·
68,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Doc Holliday said:
I am still afraid to carry on campus although I believe that GA law is on my side since I am a faculty member who is authorized by the state with my GFL. I just don't want to be a test case....
Doc, what do you mean? My thought is that you would be convicted of a felony if caught carrying a firearm on campus.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I should have worded my last post better. What I meant to say was....

I cannot carry on my person but if I have read this correctly I can keep it locked in my vehicle while on campus. I think you and I have discussed this in the past.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127.1
Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on school property

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:

(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Doc Holliday said:
I should have worded my last post better. What I meant to say was....

I cannot carry on my person but if I have read this correctly I can keep it locked in my vehicle while on campus. I think you and I have discussed this in the past.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127.1
Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on school property

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:

(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle.
I agree with you Doc. As a person in the same profession I have your same fears about being arrested if I ever left my gun locked in my car and they found out, even though I do believe it would be legal. Better to leave your gun at home I imagine.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Doc Holliday said:
My line of work needs more folks like Shirley Katz.
They are here in GA, they just can't carry because of the law. That is why we need to get it changed.

Pigs will sprout wings and fly before P-12 carry is allowed for GFL holders in GA. Maybe, just maybe....we can get something allowing teachers to carry.

·
68,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
How many in the profession are speaking out publicly about it? Are any you willing to go "on the record," so to speak?

Letters to editor?

Interviewed for "Carry On?"

Push your representative at the General Assembly?

·
68,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
http://media.[url]www.thebatt.com/media/stor ... 5887.shtml[/url]

Katz, an Oregon high school teacher, says she wants to have her pistol at school to defend herself from her disgruntled ex-husband or to prevent a school shooting. This seems like a bit of a stretch - arming teachers can not be the best way to solve these problems.

First of all, plenty of teachers and school faculty have problems with ex-spouses. This does not entitle them to carry a gun on campus

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,724 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
From the same article.
In the confusion of a school shooting, police officials have said, adding guns to the situation just makes the predicament more dangerous.
Has this ever actually happened? Has the situation EVER been made more dangerous by an armed citizen defending students and faculty from a homicidal maniac? Ever?
Not that I have heard. I do recall a case, in Philadelphia MS I think, where a teacher ran 1/2 mile to his car durring a school shooting to retreive a firearm then returned to the scene to stop the BG.

·
16,485 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/storage/paper657/news/2007/10/11/Opinion/Armed.And.Educating-3025887.shtml

Katz, an Oregon high school teacher, says she wants to have her pistol at school to defend herself from her disgruntled ex-husband or to prevent a school shooting. This seems like a bit of a stretch - arming teachers can not be the best way to solve these problems.

First of all, plenty of teachers and school faculty have problems with ex-spouses. This does not entitle them to carry a gun on campus
Of course it doesn't! That's a natural right.

·
68,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I contacted the Oregon Firearms Federation, and they confirmed that they filed an appeal. The return email noted that "If nothing else we've freaked out MSNBC and The Medford Mail Tribune which is trying to get the names of all the license holders in their area. We are ready to publish the home phones and addresses of the editors if they continue."

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Oregon Firearms Federation said:
We are ready to publish the home phones and addresses of the editors if they continue.
:applause:

·
68,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Unfortunately, their preemption law is not very broad. It covers "ordinances and laws." The court ruled that a "policy" is neither.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
Instead of giving teachers guns, why not give students bulletproof vests? Sure they might be bulky, but does anyone doubt that students would feel safer if they knew they had a safety net like that?

Or what about installing shields on the desks or putting metal detectors at the entrances to schools? These ideas are really common sense; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.
Instead of stopping the threat, the threat will just aim for the heads. Josh Wilder is a complete retard.
actually the bullet proof vest thing is a great idea. Esp. with the fact that 99% of school shootings are performed by students, lets give them a couple bullet proof vest so when the police show up they can show how much they have improved since the LA shootouts.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Wasn't there something about bullet proof back packs at one time? What ever happened to that? Or did it get scuttled because of something about back packs being too heavy with all thsoe books in them.

I went to school with metal detectors at the front doors. The prefered weapon of choice were the staplers on the teachers' desk.

BAN ALL STAPLERS!

·
68,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
41 - 59 of 59 Posts