Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A high school teacher in southern Oregon plans to challenge a school district policy that prevents her from carrying a gun on school grounds.

Portland lawyer Jim Leuenberger said in an e-mail message to the Mail Tribune newspaper that he will ask a Jackson County judge to declare the Medford School District’s policy ‘‘illegal and void’’ for holders of concealed handgun licenses.
http://www.argusobserver.com/articles/2 ... ews/04.txt

Oregon has statewide preemption for people with firearms licenses (but not for people without), and, as most of you already know, virtually NOTHING is off limits to carry in Oregon.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
. . . the woman has divorced her husband and obtained a restraining order against him. The woman contacted the lawyer and the Oregon Firearms Federation after school officials approached her about rumors that she was carrying a weapon. Schools attorney Tim Gerking said the teacher denied the accusation, but officials reminded her about the district policy.

‘‘It’s our responsibility to provide a safe learning environment for our students and a safe working environment for our employees,’’ Gerking said in an interview late last week. ‘‘We feel that would not be fostered by allowing folks, whether they have the authority or not, to bring weapons onto campus, in particular firearms â€" loaded firearms.’’

Kevin Starrett, executive director of the firearms federation, said he had been looking for a case like this one so he could challenge schools’ prohibition of firearms . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
‘‘It’s our responsibility to provide a safe learning environment for our students and a safe working environment for our employees,’’ Gerking said in an interview late last week. ‘‘We feel that would not be fostered by allowing folks, whether they have the authority or not, to bring weapons onto campus, in particular firearms â€" loaded firearms.’’
Sure, safe like it was for Andrea Lambesis, Mary Alicia Shanks, Mary Snedeker, Derother Denise White, Barry Grunow, etc. etc.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /709090334

A second news story.

School district officials said they believe they have the right to regulate the possession of a weapon by an employee and will fight the issue in court
This one quotes the preemption law.
Statute 166.170 on regulating firearms
"(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

"(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void."
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"It's a loophole kind of a thing really," said School Board Chairman Mike Moran, a retired lieutenant with the Medford Police Department. "If they have a concealed weapons permit it seems to grant a privilege that I don't think the Legislature intended."
Moran said that just because someone receives a concealed weapons permit doesn't mean he is fit to carry a gun.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Oregon Firearms Federation has been fighting with the state and its school districts since 2001, when it lobbied against Senate Bill 508. The bill would have given school districts the authority to regulate firearms, even if the gun owner has a permit.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Her attorney said she has divorced her husband and obtained a restraining order against him.

"Notwithstanding the restraining order," Leuenberger wrote, "she has reason to believe he visited her home when she was absent."

When contacted by the Mail Tribune, the teacher asked to remain anonymous because she feared for her and her daughter's safety.
According to Clayton Cramer, "Even gun control advocates often start to backpedal towards sanity when it comes to a woman being stalked by an ex-husband."
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0918/p01s01-uspo.html

"I have no doubt at all that any time a criminal has gone into a school intending to commit violence they did so knowing nobody was going to be able to stop them," she says. "We've seen what happens when teachers do nothing or can do nothing, and that's not acceptable to me."
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the same article.
In the confusion of a school shooting, police officials have said, adding guns to the situation just makes the predicament more dangerous.
Has this ever actually happened? Has the situation EVER been made more dangerous by an armed citizen defending students and faculty from a homicidal maniac? Ever?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,226 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
From the same article.
In the confusion of a school shooting, police officials have said, adding guns to the situation just makes the predicament more dangerous.
Has this ever actually happened? Has the situation EVER been made more dangerous by an armed citizen defending students and faculty from a homicidal maniac? Ever?
I'd like to see statistics on that as well. I'd be happy just to see anecdotal stories that could be verified.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
So ADULTS that have a CLEAN record, who are trusted to teach children, who have at least a 4 year college degree, who have jumped through the hoops of obtaining a CCW permit (going through another background check) are not trustworthy enough to carry a gun? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
So ADULTS that have a CLEAN record, who are trusted to teach children, who have at least a 4 year college degree, who have jumped through the hoops of obtaining a CCW permit (going through another background check) are not trustworthy enough to carry a gun? :roll:
That's correct!

:p
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Marikhal said:
GAGunOwner said:
So ADULTS that have a CLEAN record, who are trusted to teach children, who have at least a 4 year college degree, who have jumped through the hoops of obtaining a CCW permit (going through another background check) are not trustworthy enough to carry a gun? :roll:
That's correct!

:p
Unless they have a badge, in which case all of the retired policeman's / school board chairman's concerns go away.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,485 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Marikhal said:
GAGunOwner said:
So ADULTS that have a CLEAN record, who are trusted to teach children, who have at least a 4 year college degree, who have jumped through the hoops of obtaining a CCW permit (going through another background check) are not trustworthy enough to carry a gun? :roll:
That's correct!

:p
Unless they have a badge, in which case all of the retired policeman's / school board chairman's concerns go away.
Will a CC badge work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
murrybird said:
Atleast she is not giving up, but instead putting up a fight by sueing the school system. Perhaps it will draw national attention and become a movement. One can only hope.
This might be a fight for her life if her ex were to come after her. Who knows if he is dangerous or not. She is concerned enough to take out a restraining order on him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,322 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
"It's a loophole kind of a thing really," said School Board Chairman Mike Moran, a retired lieutenant with the Medford Police Department. "If they have a concealed weapons permit it seems to grant a privilege that I don't think the Legislature intended."
[quote:1ssiyd4r]Moran said that just because someone receives a POST certificationdoesn't mean he is fit to carry a gun.
[/quote:1ssiyd4r]

try that one on for size.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Top