17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WaPo appears to be original source.

Nemo

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum

·
Super Moderator
72,237 Posts
So, according to that, teachers, children, others, that is, everybody, not just children, 185 dead in 23 years.

I wonder whether the average member of the public would guess that number to be much higher.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess at the general population guess would be in the low thousands.

Nemo

·
Premium Member
10,565 Posts

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,100 Posts
Actually the one common denominator is the shooters were bullied. Perhaps if it were a major crime to bully another student this crap would stop. Everyone in the school knows who the bullies and the bullied are from the students all the way up to the teachers and they do nothing about it. then when tragedy strikes because someone was driven to the point of killing the truth comes out.

I say put the bullies behind bars and let kids be able to study and attend school in peace.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does no one recognize or realize that the shooter had background checks when he purchase those 2 rifles?

Do the checks need to be more detailed, thorough, check into reputation, be done in a "May Pass" method or what?

Nemo

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,100 Posts
Does no one recognize or realize that the shooter had background checks when he purchase those 2 rifles?

Do the checks need to be more detailed, thorough, check into reputation, be done in a "May Pass" method or what?

Nemo
I want to know where he got the money. It would be hard to save that much from your school lunch money. He dropped out of school (probably because he was bullied), did not have a job and lived with his grandparents.

I don't think expanding the background check is an answer. MAYBE better training for employees at the FFL would have made a difference. Don't really know... We would store deny anyone we were uncomfortable with selling a firearm to. Persons under 21 we would in some cases consult another employee before selling a rifle to. Store policy was no AR or AK style long guns to under 21.

I strongly believe if teachers and administrators would put the bullies in check this sort of thing would stop. They know it goes on and they know who the bullies are. Yet they do nothing. No detention, no expelling, nothing. then when one breaks and does something this horrible the truth cones out. Still they do nothing.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He had a job working at the local Wendy's restaurant.

Indicates he knew something about saving money for a purpose.

Nemo

The evening manager at a Wendy’s in Uvalde where Ramos worked told CNN that the teen “kept to himself mostly.”

“He felt like the quiet type, the one who doesn’t say much. He didn’t really socialize with the other employees,” Adrian Mendes told the outlet. “He just worked, got paid, and came in to get his check.”

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent question.

Nemo

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
What could possibly turn up in a background check for someone who turned 18 the day before?
All of the chatter about "better checks" after this leads to one place: mandatory pre-buy psych-evals. Though someone smart enough could get through one without much issue, "have you had any violent thoughts? I occasionally want to punch the idiot drivers, but that's it." I think "no" would raise more of a red flag since everyone has reactionary thoughts at some point in their life.

·
Super Moderator
72,237 Posts
The report also found:
  • The percentage of youth arrests happening at school hit a five-year high of 20 percent.
  • The number of students expelled from school increased 43 percent.
  • For the first time ever, there are more police officers working in Florida schools — 3,650 — than there are school nurses, who number 2,286.
  • The number of police officers in schools is more than double the number of school social workers (1,414) and school psychologists (1,452).
  • Schools reported more than four times as many incidents of using physical restraints on students.

The 85 page study is embedded in the Washington Post article.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Funny how facebook could instantly stomp on covid misinfo in "PM private messages".

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
twitter too ! those PM were blocked before going out.

Their AI can do whatever they want it to do.

Many of these mass shooters post their intent and weapons.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts