1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
IANAL: Sidewalks near roadways that go by schools are typically built on city or county right of ways/easements which should not be considered school properties. The days of School Safety Zones projecting out 100s of feet from actual school property lines are long gone.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=127.1

16-11-127.1 Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on a bus or other transportation furnished by a school

(3) "School safety zone" means in or on any real property or building owned by or leased to:

(A) Any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or local board of education and used for elementary or secondary education; and

(B) Any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or other institution of postsecondary education.
ETA:
Find the correct answer here: http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2650939&postcount=10

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,697 Posts

·
American
3,289 Posts
Well, after reading the first thread from 2014 the take-away answer for me from what the actual attorneys said seems to be...best not to do so even if you might technically be in the clear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm...MP's advice sounds reasonable... Even if I researched and found a map of the school near my house that is only one factor that a prosecutor might use. My best plan may be to avoid safety zones for now (or CC).

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
I'll walk in the roadway and risk getting hit by a car. Or maybe I'll just carry and walk on the public sidewalk.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
So has anybody ever seen one of these official school property boundary maps?
Does such a map show the sidewalks?
Have any of us ever researched land titles and metes-and-bounds descriptions to see who really owns the real estate directly under a sidewalk in front of a school?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
Remember, an official county map only creates a rebuttable presumption that the school owns the land shown within the map's school boundaries. You can contradict that with stronger evidence that the sidewalks are off-campus, outside of the property borders. (If that's the case; but I have no idea if it really is.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
So has anybody ever seen one of these official school property boundary maps?
Does such a map show the sidewalks?
Have any of us ever researched land titles and metes-and-bounds descriptions to see who really owns the real estate directly under a sidewalk in front of a school?
The school may "own" the real estate, but the sidewalk may lie on a public use easement which removes it from the school's control. The same principle would apply to a city/county street or state highway running alongside the school.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.