School Safety Zone but on Sidewalk?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by DotNetDog, Aug 10, 2016.

1. DotNetDog

DotNetDog Member

2. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

IANAL: Sidewalks near roadways that go by schools are typically built on city or county right of ways/easements which should not be considered school properties. The days of School Safety Zones projecting out 100s of feet from actual school property lines are long gone.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=127.1

ETA:
    Find the correct answer here: https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2650939&postcount=10

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

3. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

And are promptly ignored. :-|

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Well, after reading the first thread from 2014 the take-away answer for me from what the actual attorneys said seems to be...best not to do so even if you might technically be in the clear.

6. DotNetDog

DotNetDog Member

Hmmm...MP's advice sounds reasonable... Even if I researched and found a map of the school near my house that is only one factor that a prosecutor might use. My best plan may be to avoid safety zones for now (or CC).

7. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

People gotta go with their strengths!

:hide:

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I'll walk in the roadway and risk getting hit by a car. Or maybe I'll just carry and walk on the public sidewalk.

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

So has anybody ever seen one of these official school property boundary maps?
    Does such a map show the sidewalks?
    Have any of us ever researched land titles and metes-and-bounds descriptions to see who really owns the real estate directly under a sidewalk in front of a school?

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Remember, an official county map only creates a rebuttable presumption that the school owns the land shown within the map's school boundaries. You can contradict that with stronger evidence that the sidewalks are off-campus, outside of the property borders. (If that's the case; but I have no idea if it really is.)

11. Circuits

Circuits Member

The school may "own" the real estate, but the sidewalk may lie on a public use easement which removes it from the school's control. The same principle would apply to a city/county street or state highway running alongside the school.