School protests in Georgia

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by Mazdarati, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Mazdarati

Mazdarati New Member

My son tells me at his high school in Fayetteville. Some students are planning a walkout to protest guns. I asked him if he wants an NRA hat or Guns save lives buttons for him and his friends to wear that day. He loves the idea. He and I built an AR together.

magnum1b, TimBob, Adam5 and 1 other person like this.
  2. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

My son and I went to the Fayette Board of Ed meeting tonight. There was a Fayette County High student who was proposing the students be allowed up to three days of excused absence for their protest. My son and his friends have talked about the walk out. I don't know what his real thoughts are about it. He does think that AR15s should be banned, he doesn't believe that anyone needs to have an automatic military assualt rifle like the AR15. I guess he hasn't not heard anything that I have tried to teach him over the past many years. My middle schooler gets it and seems to have a better grasp of things, at least for now. He said he wants to walk out just so he can skip 3 days of school.

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

If they are living under your roof, you can forbid them to walk out of school, and punish them with consequences if they do. But you already know this, so I'm just venting.

Probably the time now to go ahead and buy an AR-15 and ask the one son if you should have it taken away from you by armed government agents coming to your house pointing their guns at you.

4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

And that's the mindset of the vast majority of the kids who will walk out. Anything that gets them out of class. Didn't we all feel that way, way back when? Oh, there'll still be the hard cases, the "activists" being manipulated by the media and the politicians.

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

My son raised the issue. Made it clear that no 2A means no 1A or 4A in his life in my home. Hes staying in school all day now after rethinking his position.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

My boys want their own AR15s. While the youngest is not old enough to express such desires, the fervent tone in which he says "pow, pow!" while playing with a toy gun is probably a good predictor. My girl? Not unless it has glitter and pink . . .

awanatech, how many times have you taken your oldest shooting with an AR15?

MSgt G likes this.
  7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

This has nothing to do with your teachings. It stems from what his teachers and classmates are telling him.

Schweisshund likes this.
  8. Malum Prohibitum

So you need a deep discussion with him. Make it one in which he must interact and think. What happened at Lexington and Concord? Why? What happened for more than a year after that, that is, before the Declaration of Independence? What is the purpose of the Second Amendment, and why did the persons writing and ratifying it think it so important to adopt? What did those who wrote and ratified it understand it to mean? What sort of weapons were privately owned at this period of time, that is, was it really just "muskets?" Why did the country, driven by Southern Democrats, deny this fundamental civil right to blacks? Why did the country, driven by northern Republicans, extend this civil right to blacks?

And we have not even gotten to the 20th century, but these discussion questions should get you started.

9. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

He has never shot it. I've offered many times over the years, but he has never had any desire to shoot either it, shotguns or my handguns. So I haven't forced him to shoot it. Even during all of the years of Boy Scouting, he's never had any interest in the shooting sports. He knows that if he wanted to, I'd take him anytime to practice and get a feel for any of my firearms. But there is no interest.

My younger son, is very interested in everything I have. For a couple of different reasons, I've been hesitant to take him as often as he'd like. He has shot them though and found they were much different than he expected. They weren't at all like it ws on the video games lol.

I understand your daughter. When we got Mrs. Awanatech j-frame, it had to come with pink grips.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Take the middle schooler shooting.

11. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

We talked quite a bit about it on the ride home when he mentioned wanting to walk out. I kept quizzing him on what he would be protesting and what he would want to accomplish. When he realized he had no idea what he was talking about, he admitted he just wanted 3 days of no school.

12. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

The high schooler and I do have a lot of discussions and I'll ask him why do we have XYZ amendment? What was the purpose of this being amended (depending on our conversation)? In general, he gets it, but I think he has a lot of anxiety about mass shootings.

Thanks, you do give a lot of goods points that I can bring up with him as we discuss the 2A.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  13. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

I know, there is a lot of anxiety concerning shootings and he is buying in to what peers, teachers and social media is telling him. He has always been pretty much gun-neutral.

14. Malum Prohibitum

That's too bad. This is a perception issue. The fact is, the odds of a school student being murdered were higher when you were in school than now, when he is in school.

The perception is the opposite.

The same is true with respect to murder rates generally, too.

24/7 news has a way of driving perception that does not necessarily reflect reality.

The odds of being struck by lightning are 1 in 700,000.

The chances of any particular K-12 school in the United States experiencing a shooting incident in any given year is approximately 1 in 53,925.

Breaking the numbers down a little further reveals the following statistics:

The chances of a school shooting taking place in a US high school in any given year: 1 in 21,000.

The chances of a school shooting taking place in a US elementary or middle school in any given year: 1 in 141,463.

So to find the odds of being shot to death, you need the average number of students, but you can quickly see that if the number is one hundred or more, then your child's odds of being struck by lightning are many times higher than being shot to death at school. Two decades ago the average number of students at a high school was 595 (probably higher now). At a high school, where the figure is highest, 1 in 21,000, multiplied by 595 and then divided by the average number of deaths . . . 21,000 x 595 = 12.5 million, divided by however many are shot and killed on average . . .

The US Department of Education says 15 murders and 5 suicides per year on average, total, for all schools everywhere in the US. I can't find the average, but the point here is that it is silly to be so anxious about something that literally is many times less likely than being struck by lightning. His anxiety is completely a creation of the news media and its constant push on this issue. It might also be a heavily female staff at school constantly pushing this hysteria as if it is a real issue instead of the fact that the majority of students they are teaching cannot even be marked proficient on state math and english tests.

Students today ought to be anxious about the fact that the vast majority of students are not proficient in any grade on math and english. The teachers are failing at the most basic level to do the most important thing they are hired to do, but they are all about wasting time discussing school shootings and gender fluidity.

The odds of a student in Georgia not being proficient in math and English is about 2:1.

Compare THAT to the odds above.

15. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

MP, thanks for those stats. I agree that it is a perception issue. The odds are tremendously low that any given school will experience a shooting. And then to filter that down to a particular student, the chance of danger is so remote.

I wish he would be as anxious about his math and English.

16. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

awanatech, find a cute neighbor girl he likes who's family are gun enthusiast and offer to take her and family shooting. Bet he would change his tune in a heartbeat. ;)

Archangel likes this.
  17. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 2

That is sad. Hang in there pa and keep educating.

18. moe mensale

Would he like to own a Corvette some day? Or perhaps a Veloster Turbo R-Spec? Personally, I don't see why anyone needs cars like that though. :popcorn:

19. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

He's perfectly content driving his 01 Buick Lesabre with 230,000 miles. His friends give him a hard time about, but he doesn't care. He just reminds them that it gets him from here to there and back and that's all he needs.

I wish I knew of a neighbor with a cute girl that I could interest him in. Heck, she doesn't even have to be cute. If I did, that could be another way to reach him like phantoms suggested.

20. moe mensale

In that case you got your work cut out for you!