School property after hours

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by jreXD9, Sep 8, 2020.

1. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

A friend of mine had a question and I said I’d pose it here for input. He Frequently flies drones on school property and was wondering if it’s ok to carry on school property after school hours while flying the drones. What say ye? Thx in advance.

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yeah, that would be a 'no' Dawg.

The school weapons law specifically says it applies even when school is not in session. So that even means over summer recess.
    Heck, I think it even applies to a campus that was totally shut down where both the teachers and the students did their distance-learning via Zoom online meetings for an entire year!

4. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Not legally, no. Virtually all of our state's lawmakers want to keep school zones defenseless, victim rich zones for crazy evil mass shooters.

StarJack likes this.
  5. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

The way it's going, that will soon apply to the "classrooms" in parents homes too :roll: (which would then become campuses)

TimBob likes this.
  6. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

It has already happened...

7. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

8. Nemo

Will soon go to your kitchen or main floor if you kid is zooming school at home. Think about the kid who go the cops called on him for letting a toy Zombie Destroyer, similar to a 1911, be seen on his school zoom, noted above.

Think about mom or dad being seen in the background carrying.

No gun in any home where kids are zooming school. Have to keep the classrooms safe.

Nemo

9. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

Thx, y'all. I passed the info to the drone guy.

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

John Whitford
    Male, 28, from USA

Three (really deep) posts in 2 minutes. Just saying. :popcorn:

Phil1979 likes this.
  11. Phil1979

12. Nemo

HJB in disguise?

Nemo

13. DKW

DKW Active Member

to me this would be low hanging fruit to make a legislative change in this area. There is no reason that school property in non-school functions after school hours or when school is not in session should be restricted from carrying a firearm.

14. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

That's true, but it's also true that there is no reason that school property should ever be restricted.

phantoms, MSgt G and Phil1979 like this.
  15. DKW

DKW Active Member

Very True. Also extremely unlikely to ever pass on complete removal of firearm restrictions on K-12 properties.

At least in this case, we could get some relief for the statute.

16. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I'm all for incremental victories. Hell, I work on them every year. But I think we should be able to do better than carry on school property after hours when no school functions are going on.

Phil1979 likes this.
  17. DKW

DKW Active Member

It seems we have tried that year-after-year and gotten know where on with that approach concerning K-12.

If I am correct in that complete removal of firearms restrictions will never happen, what additional components to carrying on K-12 campus do you think is realistic on passing and getting signed into law?

18. Phil1979

Perhaps some way of getting licenced carriers on the special people list is in order here. Maybe a voluntary license enhancement or upgrade? Although I'd prefer the politicians would just trust us, since we took time to show up, give our info, pay our money, and have clean records.

TimBob and ICP_Juggalo like this.
  19. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

We have tried a lot of things the last 3 years and gotten nothing. But if you look out a few years after that, we have made some modest strides:
    1. You can carry in your car and even leave a gun in your car.
    2. You can carry into the building to pick up and drop off (that one has been the case for a while).
    I never say never, but it's not likely to happen any time soon. This year's election is likely to have far-reaching consequences. Not much that will happen will make things easier, but some things could happen that will make things much harder. To answer your specific question, though, I think there are a few things we could do. One thing is we could bring the definition of weapon as it applies to schools in line with the definition of weapon for the rest of the state. This is "modest" in terms of political controversy but huge in terms of what it would do for GWL holders.

20. DKW

DKW Active Member

My personal opinion is licensed carriers will never get on the "Special Peoples" list. To me, that is right up there with complete removal of all restrictions on K-12 properties we are talking about here, never going to happen.

I am all for swinging for the stars on legislative repeal of firearm restrictions. But is seems we keep going for the all-or-nothing approach, which isn't working.

Starting the legislative year asking for the world is great, we just need backup options ready to propose that are realistic to implement.