School - Picking Up Students

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Malum Prohibitum, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

An exception to being charged with a felony exists for those with licenses (assuming you are not still waiting on the probate court to issue your renewal because the judge decided for herself that there is no such thing as a renewal in spite of the word renewal appearing 24 times in the statute and therefore she refused to issue you a temporary renewal) who are picking up or dropping off a student.

Can you walk in the building?

The statute says "at," not "in."

O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.1

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or any weapon legally kept within a vehicle in transit through a designated school zone by any person other than a student;

2. tony218

tony218 New Member

so, i STILL can't carry when i walk to the bus stop to meet my
    daughter after school?

3. Malum Prohibitum

Sure you can! Among the exemptions is: A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 . . . when such person carries or picks up a student . . . on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school . . .

My question is - can I go in the building?

Or am I limited to picking up my kid at the building?

4. tony218

tony218 New Member

this is what i'm talking about......

any weapon legally kept within a vehicle in transit through a designated school zone by any person other than a student;

KEPT WITHIN A VEHICLE.... i would be on foot

5. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

If you go along with that logic, then the same can be said for a public gathering. You can´t carry to or at a public gathering. But what about ¨in¨ a public gathering? Surely there are public gatherings that take place inside a building.

6. Malum Prohibitum

You left of the disjunctive "or" at the beginning of your quote. Read it again, stressing the "or."

No problem being on foot. I sure was not proposing that I drive my car into the school building! :D

7. tony218

tony218 New Member

i guess any other transportation would be my shoes.
    the bus stop is down the street from my house
    on monday's i walk down there and walk back home
    with her. i always disarm before i go.