13,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article

KnoxNews.com said:
Hawkins schools locked down after rumored threat from student
By The Associated Press
Originally published 12:08 p.m., September 20, 2007
Updated 12:08 p.m., September 20, 2007

ROGERSVILLE, Tenn. â€" Several schools in Hawkins County remain locked down after authorities said there were rumors of a threat from a student.

School Board Supervisor Steve Starnes says that law enforcement contacted school officials after school started.

As a precaution the school system locked down Volunteer High School and eight or nine other nearby schools while authorities search for the student.

The student is a foster child in the custody of the state Department of Children’s Services. He was not found on any of the campuses and police were still searching for him.

More details as they develop online and in Friday’s News Sentinel.

© 2007, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
I don't know exactly how the law reads in TN, but let's imagine this happened here in GA. I as a GFL holder arrive at my child's school to pick them up because of some type of "incident" while CC/OC. On paper, this seems legal. Right? In reality, I would likely be eating pavement and wearing new bracelets. :handcuffs:

A similar situation evolved on September 11, 2001. On 9-11 my building was evacuated and we were sent home due to a perceived threat (suspicious vehicle). Considering the events that had happened earlier in the day GSA was taking no chances. I left work and went immediately to communist party headquarters (aka my wife's school) because I knew that as soon as she heard our building was evacuated she would be crazy with worry. This was pre-child but could have just as well played out that I went to pick up my child from school. With the tension of the day, what do you think would have happened if I were seen with a holstered weapon on school property? I am not talking about sneaking on campus, I mean checking in at the office first.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well it's supposed to be legal. Under those circumstances.... who knows. Does lock down mean they have leo on site or just that all doors are either locked or 100% monitored? If they have leo on site I would think you might just be told to leave it in the car. Then again you might be quickly screaming "Don't taser me bro!" or just eating lead. All depends on the situation and the officer involved I would say. If you made it as far as the front office & checked in then I doubt you would have any problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts