Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a school bus off limits when it is not being used for school purposes?

Wife is doing a race in Peachtree and they brought school buses to shuttle people to the start line and back to the parking area.

Operated by first student.

·
American
3,289 Posts
In the past school buses operated by the school board are under the jurisdiction of their police departments because they've been seen as an extension of school property/grounds. Seems to me that sets it up to be "school grounds" for other purposes too. If the contractor is using the same bus under another contract with someone other than a school that might be different.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
The school bus will still be off- limits if it is furnished by a school.
16-11-127.1 (d) negates any possible defense based on the school not being in session or not being used as a school at the time, so to me it's implied that it is also no defense that the school bus was being used for non-educational purposes.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Couldn't you use the botanical garden case around and use it against the state. If a private company can ban guns when the state can not, they can allow guns when the state can not. Right?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just kept my mouth shut, and sat on the right side of the bus to keep anyone from bumping me!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found out that the company running the race rented the buses from the county that they needed and provided their own drivers.

I think this made the buses private and I am okay carrying!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts