Scary flight home

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by atlsrt44, Oct 18, 2018.

1. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Had a scary flight home to Atlanta from Dallas. As we were going to land we were about 200 ft off the ground when the pilot hit the gas and shot back up to 10k ft.

At that point we start circling the airport for about 30 min. Finally the pilot comes over the intercom and says we are having mechanical problems and are unable to land but we are talking to mechanics on the ground.

Finally about 20 min later he says we think we fixed the problem and will attempt to land.

Needless to say the pucker factor was high when we touched down but thankfully we landed ok.

Long story short be thankful for the little things like landing...

2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Did they say what it was? Landing gear not fully down?

Schweisshund likes this.

3. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Never told us. That's what I assume it was

4. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Glad you had a controlled planed soft crash and not the other option.

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Hey, you will always touch down. Maybe soft, maybe hard but at some point down is the direction you will headed.

Glad it turned out well.

Nemo

6. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Landing can be stressful. My Delta pilot friend told me of one landing he made in Atlanta (a 767) which had him staying for a long and productive sit down in the bathroom once in the terminal. After he did the paperwork for failed equipment which caused a loss of control. That's the description needed to take the plane out of service until repaired.

7. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

Flying is when you aim for the ground and miss.

8. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

Landing is inevitable...
    It's the quality of said landing...

9. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

As they say any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Glad it turned out okay!

Scout706 likes this.
  10. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Especially good landing if you can use the plane again.

11. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Aviation nerd gotta type something.
    Could have been a number of things, not getting 3 green indication lights in the cockpit for gear down AND locked, a problem with the ground spoiler boards which aid in slowing the plane down when the main gear touch down, a hydraulic issue could cause all kinds of unpleasant things.

Hitting the TO/GA (Take Off/Go Around) switch at 200 feet AGL usually means two aircraft are about to occupy the same air space at the same time, hydraulic pressure falling below 3000psi, or a wheel speed sensor fault. For non mechanical, a windsheer warning would be cause to do a go around.

12. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

When something like this happens, are a bunch of reports filed? Can the public get access to any of them?

13. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Had that happen in Denver once. Pilot said they brought him out of the pattern late and he didn't like the final approach angle. Dunno if that was BS or truth. Denver is a tough airport for takeoffs and landings due to the altitude. Glad he did what we pay him to do.

14. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Just think of it as part of your in-flight entertainment. :lol:

15. smn

smn Active Member

I had a Delta pilot do a go around when we were about 200' AGL and as he turned away I saw another plane behind him making its way for the runway. Apparently the second plane had called in a medical emergency. We were only late by about 20 minutes.

The pilots get paid to make some very serious decisions when equipment fails in the air.

16. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

As a fuel saver, Delta prohibits running the aux power unit. My friend runs it during all bad weather landings due to possible unrecoverable ILS outage.

17. Squid

Squid Gun pecan

I had a good pucker factor once coming into Naval Air Station North Island.

I rode a DC-9 back and forth to San Clemente Island every week for my duty station. We were coming in for a landing at North Island and the plane suddenly dropped out of the air. It felt like one of those turbulence drops that just went on and on.

We probably only dropped for a few seconds but it was long enough for everyone to start yelling about it.

We found out afterwards that it was a near miss with a S3 Viking.

18. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Wasn’t me. Pretty sure.

19. Squid

Squid Gun pecan

'95 ish

20. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

‘79 ish. S3-A.