Scanner to listen in on Gwinnett activities?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by martin_j001, Sep 27, 2010.

1. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

I know of scangwinnett.com and the other sites that host the same feed. Is there more that I can listen in on if I want with an actual scanner? If so, does anyone have recommendations on products to do this with? Not looking to have to get licensed for anything, and also not looking to spend a whole ton of money. Thanks in advance.

2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I had bought a portable scanner or two before a while back - Radio Shack was where I picked them up as I recall those were around $100 I think. Not sure about Gwinnett PD, but I know a lot of groups that use two-way now go through trunk radio systems that multiplex communications over a limited frequency range to allow more agencies to use fewer frequencies. This means that you'd likely need a trunking scanner to follow these communication, which are more expensive than basic analog scanners. There are other digital systems in place too, like EDACS, so it is helpful if you know what Gwinnett uses to ensure you purchase a scanner that can track it.

3. martin_j001

Thanks. I was able to find out over on scangwinnett.com's forums that all PD's in Gwinnett are encrypted, so no matter what you use, you won't be able to listen to them. Fire/EMS is all you can listen to.

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Yeah - a lot of police use the digital encryption now, which is pretty easy since the radios are digital.

5. martin_j001

Yep. On the one hand, it makes sense, on the other hand, I'd really like to hear what's going on around me. I can look at the crimemapping.com site and see what charges have been filed around me, but I get no details without requesting info on the individual cases.

6. spector

spector New Member

Get a smartphone.

Android has the free ScannerRadio app for listening to emergency channels. VERY handy.

I can't imagine a droid phone is much more than a scanner these days.