SC Officer Charged with Murder After Shooting Man as He Ran Away

Discussion in 'In the News' started by mountainpass, Apr 7, 2015.

1. johnski

johnski Active Member

Does not look like a good shoot at all, though the suspect was able to wrestle a tazer out of the officer's hands before taking off.

2. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi4pTyP1GIY[/ame]

3. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Active Member

Yep, looks like a bad shoot to me. The taser was dropped as the suspect tried to break away, and I can't see how the officer could really be in fear for his safety where the unarmed suspect is simply fleeing.

See you in prison, officer!

4. seereus

seereus Active Member

So he felt threatened as he shot the guy in the back as he was running away empty handed ?

5. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

Looks like cold blooded murder to me. If someone would like to convince me otherwise I'm willing to listen.
    I wonder how he would have explained shooting the guy in the back if there wasn't video? Couldn't have discharged in a struggle, no powder burns.

6. johnski

johnski Active Member

Worse is the ny times article which says the video shows the officer pick up and drop the taser next to the dying guy.

7. Bob_Hayles

Bob_Hayles New Member

Filthy scum cop...

8. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

There was a time when shooting fleeing felons in the back was perfectly acceptable.
    If you wanted to survive an encounter with the police, don't try to fight them OR run from them. Either could get you shot.

Then society's morals changed.
    The laws were changed, either with new legislation or just new court rulings.
    30 years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that it's a violation of the constitution to shoot a fleeing suspect, even a known felon, just as a way of capturing him.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=471&invol=1

This case was decided almost exactly 30 years ago, in the spring of 1985.
    Plenty of caselaw has developed incorporating it and affirming it and applying it.

9. CoffeeMate

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/u...ged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

[​IMG]

10. Bob_Hayles

Bob_Hayles New Member

Even if law had not changed, this was murder. The dead guy was NOT a felon. His "crime", for which there was a warrant for his arrest? He was behind on child support.

He had been arrested a sew times before for the same thing. Behind on child support.

The only evidence of anything "violent" in his background was a 1983 arrest for assault and battery, probably a misdemeanor in SC. The disposition of that case was unknown as of 3:30 this afternoon.

The guy was murdered, plain and simple, and the cop that shot him is a worthless piece of human garbage. Period.

11. CoffeeMate

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SLDMMGzkyI[/ame]

12. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Incirlik AB 73-75

Felt threatened? Seriously?

13. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Did you consider whether resisting a police officer and fighting with a cop and taking his Taser gun from him is a felony in South Carolina?
    This guy could have been a "felon" and fleeing a "felony crime" which he just committed seconds ago. It doesn't have to be the offense that got the cops looking for him in the first place.

14. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Simply premeditated murder. Life in prison without possibility of parole. And he belongs to and is shared by everyone else there. I think that would be more appropriate than executing him.

Nemo

15. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Active Member

Didn't you say you were a lawyer? How in the hell is this pre-meditated murder?

I agree this was a bad shoot, but saying this was pre-meditated is a bit of a stretch. I'd go with 2nd degree murder, which is likely on the table among other charges.

As for the NYT article that continued to bring up nobody giving him CPR, it likely wasn't necessary yet. You don't just give people CPR for a bullet wound unless they've stopped breathing or there's no pulse. Even somebody with basic first aid skills knows that.

16. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

17. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

He planned to shoot and intended to stop that gent from running away. He knew he was not in any danger whatsoever as the gent wanted nothing but away. He fired 7 times to stop him. He knew shooting a fleeing felon (assuming he had grounds to believe felon) was not legal and could easily form the intent to kill in the blink of eye. That happened somewhere between the removal of his weapon from the holster to the firing of shot #7. If he did not intend to kill him, as he fled, he would not have fired that round and the following ones.

The NYT article notes the lack of CPR primarily because it did not happen. And the police reported that it did happen. That is the problem. Not so much that they did not but that they said they did, and strong evidence show so far that they did not. Please note the last paragraph of the copied part of the quote attributed to NYT in the post numbered 10 above.

Further there is strong evidence that he brought his taser from where it fell originally and dropped it by the victim. He is intentionally manipulating evidence to support his version, which is not accurate and the evidence shows it is not. He is trying to get away with murder. If he thought it was a clean shoot, he would leave things as they fell and be comfortable with his decision.

Nemo

18. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Active Member

You may wish to re-acquaint yourself with what exactly pre-meditated murder is and the elements of it.

Had he just decided "Hey, I'm going to pull this guy over and kill him," THAT is pre-meditated. He would have had it planned prior to the entire incident. This individual got shot after fighting the cop, getting his taser loose (but dropping it) and running away. That's more along the lines of manslaughter.

As for them claiming to have performed CPR and not being shown doing so, perhaps that occurred after the video? Without having the report to see when they claimed to have given him CPR (immediately vs later), we don't know.

19. FNX45Guy

FNX45Guy New Member

:bigshock: Whew! It's definitely time I stop screwing around and fix that dern right front turn signal.