SC: Bill Would Allow Permit Holders to Carry in Schools

Discussion in 'In the News' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Apr 27, 2007.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I found this over at Glock Talk.

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/mi...04-25-0011.html
    Bill would allow permit holders to carry weapon in schools

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 - 07:05 PM

BY Mackenzie Taylor

A bill that is currently at the Statehouse in Columbia would allow anyone with a concealable weapons permit to carry a concealed weapon while on the property of any public school, from elementary schools to colleges.

Kris Crawford, R-District 63, is one of the bill’s sponsors. Crawford said the bill was drafted for several reasons, including in response to the Virginia Tech shootings last week.

According to the state Law Enforcement Division’s website, residents who wish to obtain a concealable weapons permit must be at least 21 years old and "not prohibited by state law from possessing the weapon."

Applicants must also, among other requirements, complete a special training course and pass a background check. Fingerprints are also screened by law officials.

Jamie Norman, whose family owns Norman’s Guns and Sporting Goods in Florence County, currently holds a concealable weapons permit. He said he believes the bill would be a good idea.

"That’s in our constitutional right to bear arms and I feel like if they got a concealed weapons permit, they ought to be able to tote one," said Norman on Wednesday afternoon.

Sarah Richey said she thinks the bill is a bad idea. Richey has three children in public schools and said she often worries about their safety. She said she doesn’t think the bill is the answer, though, to better school security.

"I don’t agree with that unless they’re law enforcement and are actually on duty," said Richey. "I don’t think there’s any reason why they should carry a weapon into any school."

Currently, there are restrictions on where permit holders can carry concealed weapons. Law enforcement facilities, courtrooms, and daycare facilities are among those restricted locations.

The bill is currently in the House Judiciary Committee.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

GT truncates the links. Please get us the entire link. Some legislators need to see this.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks! And the news story?

4. Malum Prohibitum

Now if South Carolina would only reciprocate with Georgia . . .

5. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

VT anyone?