Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article128946679.html

A bill that would allow perhaps thousands of out-of-staters to carry concealed weapons in South Carolina came under fire Thursday from a lawmaker who charged the bill would be unfair to S.C. residents and make them less safe.

“This will make our citizens second-class citizens,†said Rep. James Smith, D-Richland, who opposed the bill at an S.C. House Judiciary subcommittee hearing.
If the bill passes, a teen from Alabama â€" a state that allows 18-year-olds to carry concealed weapons without any training or gun safety requirements â€" could come to South Carolina with a legally hidden powerful .50 caliber handgun, Smith said.
lol

Also at Thursday’s meeting were members of MomsDemandAction, a group that urges gun safety measures. That group opposes Clemmons’ bill because it would lower state gun safety standards. “Our standards in South Carolina are excellent,†said Sylvie Dessau.

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
If the bill passes, a teen from Alabama - a state that allows 18-year-olds to carry concealed weapons without any training or gun safety requirements - could come to South Carolina with a legally hidden powerful .50 caliber handgun, Smith said.
I would hate to attempt to walk around with my .50 Desert Eagle concealed.

Those 18 year olds in Alabama don't seem to be causing any problems there. Maybe they are just waiting for SC to pass this bill so they can go to SC with their .50 caliber handgun and start trouble?/sarcasm

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I replied to a comment on that site that said that if you kept the mentally unstable from have access to firearms, then no one else would need any protection. I was told that I had a "third world mentality".

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
South Carolina lawmakers need to start whittling down the massive list of felony off-limits places they have - for people who are licensed to carry. :shock:

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Those 18 year olds in Alabama don't seem to be causing any problems there. Maybe they are just waiting for SC to pass this bill so they can go to SC with their .50 caliber handgun and start trouble?/sarcasm
They're massing in Augusta and Savannah waiting for the law to pass. :lol:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
Well, plenty of armed 18 years old fought side by side from Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. What's wrong today with those of us crossing between our state lines? Do legal carriers in one state suddenly go bonkers when they go to another state?

Pssst, Rep. James Smith (D-Richland, SC) - South Carolina citizens are ALREADY "second-class citizens", because their state government FORCES them to jump through both the training hoop AND the licensing hoop, and STILL doesn't trust them to carry in public buildings, such as public libraries, public museums, public park offices, and other such government owned buildings that have little or no security - on PAIN of a FELONY charge.

Additionally, open carry of a holstered pistol is a CRIME, even with a license. Why should I have to be FORCED by the government to look like an unarmed person. I don't want to be confronted by criminals thinking I'm just another sheep. I'd rather DETER the crime than have to SHOOT the criminal.

South Carolina gun laws are the WORST in the South.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.