SBR vs. Pistol

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by MPow1620, Jan 4, 2020.

1. MPow1620

MPow1620 New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm currently assembling parts to build an AR pistol and I want to make sure I get the laws down, it gets a bit confusing on the internet. I'm looking to put a complete upper assembly with 11.5in barrel on it.

Basically even if I'm over 26in long but have a barrel less than 16" long than the pistol rules apply. Meaning the main things I need to make sure of is no stock (braces are ok) and no vertical foregrips (but hand stops are ok)?

Also does it matter how the FFL paperwork is filled out when they transfer the lower. For example should I register it as a pistol but then what happens if I go over 26". Or can it just be registered as usual?

Sound about right? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The 4473 will have to state handgun or long gun. If it is sold as a long gun then it will be a rifle or shotgun. If the barrel on the rifle is less than 16'' then it will be an SBR. Brace or no brace the paper work can make a difference.

3. MPow1620

MPow1620 New Member

Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. So I’d want it to go down as a handgun since it’s an 11.5in barrel and going to be a pistol. Thanks again.

4. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

I am pretty sure that all of the lower receiver 's I have bought were transferred as other on question 16 on the 4473,however once assembled I think they frown on switching back and forth

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

If he's transferring just a lower receiver (bare or complete) it's listed as "other" on the 4473.

6. moe mensale

Rifle -> pistol -> rifle = bad.

Pistol -> rifle -> pistol = good.

One of ATF's more stupid "rules" but what can I say?

If the lower receiver was in a rifle configuration when it left the factory it can never legally be built into a pistol configuration. Remember, ATF can trace back a serial number to the factory to determine original configuration. Which is why you rarely* ever see any Colt AR-15 pistols. Colt only sells AR rifles. There are lots of other manufacturers who do build and sell virgin lower receivers from which to choose.

* Colt recently sold some virgin lowers to a couple of their major distributors. Very strange for them.

7. moe mensale

Register? There's no "registration" in GA of any firearms.

8. MPow1620

MPow1620 New Member

Wrong terminology

9. MPow1620

MPow1620 New Member

The more I read this is what i found too. It seems like they are all transferred as “other” since it doesn’t become anything until you build it. Appreciate the help.

10. moe mensale

Because an unbarreled action is just a chunk of metal.

11. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

The 4473 will list a stripped lower as an "other" weapon. You can build a pistol or rifle, there is no "registration" unless you file a form 1 to make it an SBR.

If you buy a complete firearm or lower configured as a pistol, it will be marked as a pistol on the 4473 and in the ATF manufacturers records. It can be converted into a rifle with a barrel over 16" and a stock if you wish and back to a pistol at will.

If you buy a complete firearm or lower configured as a rifle, it will be a rifle on the 4473 and in ATFs manufacturer records. It cannot be converted to a legal pistol, and any barrel under 16" requires an SBR stamp, even if you remove the stock.

MPow1620 likes this.
  12. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

How reliable are these ar pistols? I’ve been looking at the SA saint pistol.

13. moe mensale

Saint, Saint Victor or Saint Edge? Google/DDG is your friend.

14. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

I have 3 AK pistols and one AR pistol. All are low budget guns, and all have run well for me. My bedside gun is a Yugo M92PV AK pistol with rail mounted green laser and flashlight. I trust it completely.