Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts

·
Swollen Member
11,928 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
So if we redefine a knife to be a minimum of 12 inches long, does this allow us to carry pocket knives in Courthouses?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Would that also mean that a GWCL would definitely be required now to carry a machete or sling blade?

My sling bade has a sharp edge, is greater than 12" long, and is attached to a handle.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
"Definitions" is what threw me off. SB 405 is a good bill, but the really good one is the new House bill giving clear definitions to certain things, and strengthening property rights for churches.
Phil,

I will take this one also. Being allowed to take my Leatherman into the courthouse is a huge plus for me. I like the both HB also so let's push all three.

John

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,710 Posts
I'm on board with that! :righton:

Phil,

I will take this one also. Being allowed to take my Leatherman into the courthouse is a huge plus for me. I like the both HB also so let's push all three.

John

·
68,451 Posts
Phil,

John
John,

Why do you think that SB 405 would have this consequence? I would venture a guess that your Leatherman does not meet the definition of a weapon now. Can you carry it in the courthouse now? If not, then why would SB 405 change anything at all with respect to the purpose you have in mind?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
John,

Why do you think that SB 405 would have this consequence? I would venture a guess that your Leatherman does not meet the definition of a weapon now. Can you carry it in the courthouse now? If not, then why would SB 405 change anything at all with respect to the purpose you have in mind?
MP,

The sign at the front door of my courthouse expressly prohibits pocket knives, if I remember correctly. I will photograph it tomorrow evening on my way into the Commission meeting. Does the county have the ability to ban pocket knives or is there state preemption on weapons such as pocketknives.

This post is not meant to sound sharp; I just don't know the law that well.

·
68,451 Posts
It does not sound sharp at all. No problem here.

Right now, 16-11-127 does not ban pocketknives (the folding sort) from courthouses. The current definition of knife (as in a "weapon") is 5 inches and a fixed blade. Pocketknives are therefore unregulated.

And yet courthouses continue to ban them - even my little keychain pocketknife.

This is through the "courthouse security plan" developed by the Sheriff of each county and kept secret from its citizens.

There was a legislative change in response to the Brian Nichols courthouse murders (committed using a Sheriff's Office weapon). For more reading, see here:
www.cscj.org/files/download/courthouse_security_standards__final.pdf

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
It does not sound sharp at all. No problem here.

Right now, 16-11-127 does not ban pocketknives (the folding sort) from courthouses. The current definition of knife (as in a "weapon") is 5 inches and a fixed blade. Pocketknives are therefore unregulated.

And yet courthouses continue to ban them - even my little keychain pocketknife.

This is through the "courthouse security plan" developed by the Sheriff of each county and kept secret from its citizens.

There was a legislative change in response to the Brian Nichols courthouse murders (committed using a Sheriff's Office weapon). For more reading, see here:
www.cscj.org/files/download/courthouse_security_standards__final.pdf
You are leaving out a big, big step in the process. The Sheriff authors a plan and then submits it to the Chief Judge of the Superior Court. The Chief Judge has final say and may alter the plan as they deem necessary.

I know of at least two Superior Courts (at least in recent history) in which only the on duty court security staff are allowed to carry weapons in the court house. Even deputies in those counties that are not part of the court security staff must disarm to enter.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,710 Posts
Since current law already prohibits "weapons", anything within that definition, even under state preemption can be banned at courthouses, as you know.

And anything at all "not a weapon" can and will be banned by judges at their discretion.

However, let's say it is not an item they can legally ban. Is another judge going to rule against his brethren for mere peon citizens to be able to carry pocket knives? Not happening in this century.

Not until there is a state law that specifically states that "pocket knives cannot be confiscated or banned from courthouses and courtrooms".

MP,

The sign at the front door of my courthouse expressly prohibits pocket knives, if I remember correctly. I will photograph it tomorrow evening on my way into the Commission meeting. Does the county have the ability to ban pocket knives or is there state preemption on weapons such as pocketknives.

·
68,451 Posts
You are leaving out a big, big step in the process.
Intentionally so, but not to be misleading.

I was just letting him know there was more than 16-11-127 to consider. That did not require an essay.

I do appreciate you adding more info, though.

·
68,451 Posts
Is another judge going to rule against his brethren for mere peon citizens to be able to carry pocket knives? Not happening in this century.

Not until there is a state law that specifically states that "pocket knives cannot be confiscated or banned from courthouses and courtrooms".
I think you, sir, are a great legal scholar! :)

·
Swollen Member
11,928 Posts
Is another judge going to rule against his brethren for mere peon citizens to be able to carry pocket knives? Not happening in this century.

Thin blue black line....

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,710 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts