Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
68,174 Posts
Does not appear to do anything that federal law does not already do . . .

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Does not appear to do anything that federal law does not already do . . .
Yeah, this is a pretty stupid bill.

I'd like to see something along the lines of "any person who has been honorably discharged from military service..."

Ultimately, I would love to get rid of ALL the exemptions, but I don't think this is coming any time soon.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
What is the overwhelming desire of politicians to create a caste for retired cops in almost everything related to firearms? Do they wish to perpetuate the "us vs them" meme even to the retired cops? And some wonder why we mere citizens show disdain toward them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
What is the overwhelming desire of politicians to create a caste for retired cops in almost everything related to firearms? Do they wish to perpetuate the "us vs them" meme even to the retired cops? And some wonder why we mere citizens show disdain toward them.
I have no issue with retired LEO carrying, but I agree that such laws create a separate class of citizen and thus can foster resentment.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,375 Posts
I have no issue with retired LEO carrying, but I agree that such laws create a separate class of citizen and thus can foster resentment.
I have no problem with them carrying either. However, they should have to jump through the same hoops that any citizen has to. They are not special and shouldn't be treated as such.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
I have an issue. A retired cop is no more or less than any other citizen. That shiny badge they used to wear doesn't bestow any additional rights on them and our legislators are wrong when they allow these carve-outs. Our laws should apply equally to all instead of violating the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I mean to say it is superfluous at best and causes resentment at worst, to have such a law. A retired LEO is a citizen like every other, endowed with rights from God.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Passed senate public safety via substitute.

Edit: Sub clarified Ga resident officers only. Not sure what all was in it.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,739 Posts
I mean to say it is superfluous at best and causes resentment at worst, to have such a law. A retired LEO is a citizen like every other, endowed with rights from God.
No, ask them, they know better and are special.

Nemo

·
Just a Man
6,048 Posts
Senate Press OfficeVerified account ‏@GASenatePress 1h1 hour ago
SB 270, sponsored by Sen. @pkmartiniv, is now on the floor #gapol #gasenate

Senate Press OfficeVerified account ‏@GASenatePress 1h1 hour ago
SB 270 passes by sub with a vote of 54-0 #gapol #gasenate

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I thought the Constitution forbade titles and privileges of nobility?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
House should amend to include license holders to 16-11-130 and send back.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Nailed it Andy.
The funny thing is that NOBODY will respond back to me on that possibility (after contacting all GOP members of PSHS and Rules as well as Speaker). I get nothing on SB270....crickets.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts