1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Just a Man
6,037 Posts
This is weird, until you realize who has written this Bill.

Ga Legislature just passed legislation to give schools discretion on these matters iirc, and now they want to take that ability away.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,676 Posts
I read it as giving discretion in firearm and dangerous weapon cases. It says the school board determines dangerous weapon expulsion periods.

Firearm expulsion periods start at one year, but can be case by case modified by a hearing panel, administrator, superintendent or local board of ed.

Seems to me thats proper interpretation.

Nemo

13. . . . With respect to a student who is determined to have possessed a firearm or
14 dangerous weapon at school, such policy shall require expulsion from school for a period
15 of not less than one calendar year; provided, however, that a hearing officer, tribunal,
16 panel, administrator, superintendent, or local board of education shall have the authority
17 to modify such expulsion requirement on a case-by-case basis. With respect to a student
18 who is determined to have possessed a dangerous weapon at school, such policy shall
19 require expulsion from school for a period determined by the local board of education."

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I guess they want to put more minority kids in jail.

·
68,114 Posts
This bill passed committee but then stopped moving last year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts