Georgia Packing banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
68,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Are there any non-commercial non-common carrier vehicles that put out 650 or more hp? The Ford Super Duty series gets close, 475hp is the max I can find for this series. Only need 125hp more.
See post #5. Keep in mind it also applies to vehicles "converted" (lol) - by which I assume they mean modified - to have 650+ hp, which is easy peasy these days with advancements in technology.

·
68,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Little secret here from the car world. Dyno numbers are not standardized. You can take the same car to different shops and get very different measurements. I'm talking 20% HP difference. Heck, you can set the same car up slightly differently and get wildly different results. A dyno "hero run" isn't the same as what you get on the street. 30 seconds to download a new tune and the same metal now puts out power like a 4-cylinder Camry. Plus, is this 650 at the crank or the rear wheels? Is the state going to pull the engine to stand-dyno it?
This is the car equivalent of banning "the shoulder thingy that goes up" because you think it will solve a problem and displays about as much thought and intelligence.
I predict a LOT of court challenges. If you can afford a 650+ HP car, you can afford decent legal representation. This has enough holes to drive a tractor-trailer through.. sideways.
Oh, it gets worse. Did you read it? The car "manufactured or converted to hold a rating of 650 horsepower or greater." . . . whatever that means. See line 33.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The engine. easier to develop at the crank than the wheels. easier to bust you too.

Although I've owned vehicles in the past that made a solid 400HP and could melt tires.

and that HP WAS at the tires.

I already think this is bull****. Somebody just wants to be you're nanny and take away your toys. (sound like something we've heard before, ;)

Maybe I should make a pass around 285 in my dually. 468 with a T56 and 4:10 gears. Doesn't look like much, needs paint, but does outrun current hellcats. Like money in the bank. Most people can't and don't handle 650HP. No respect for power.

Wait a minute, did they loose a race recently? I deny having been in that area, I'm already under lock-down. :shattered:

·
Registered
297 Posts
And the laws are not restrictive enough? I guess I know who bought a really nice car and got outrun did we?

I can go along with the illegal dumping that you describe, , but kids will be kids, right, just look the other way, pay them no mind. If they don't get the attention from you, maybe they'll get it from the officer down the street. IF we're lucky right....

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm kind of amused that a 911 Turbo S - rated at 640 HP - doesn't merit a "high performance" license plate, when it can easily "smoke" just about anything on the road.

I do have a high performance car (710 HP), though frankly I hardly need a special license plate to identify it as such, because it's pretty immediately obvious just looking at it :p

As for drag racing, I really don't foresee this having much of an impact on it, though I guess it gives police another "broken tail light"-esque tool to pull suspicious cars over?

DH

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
See post #5. Keep in mind it also applies to vehicles "converted" (lol) - by which I assume they mean modified - to have 650+ hp, which is easy peasy these days with advancements in technology.
Those are sports cars though. I was talking about something like a truck. That's why I mentioned the Super Duty.

·
68,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It would apply to trucks, too.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Cars from the factory that qualify. Any Hellcat model (including Jeep and pickups), red eye, super stock, Ford Mustang GT500, Camaro ZL1 models and the Corvette Z06 and ZR1.
Apparently the RAM 1500 TRX has 702 horsepower. That net is wide and awkward.

·
Swollen Member
11,889 Posts
Imagine how many 'sleepers' there will be if this passes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Apparently the RAM 1500 TRX has 702 horsepower. That net is wide and awkward.
Built by Shelby the Ford F150 Super Snake makes 770hp, with an MSRP of almost $95k

Our '19 F350 diesel puts out 450hp and 935 lb/ft of torque, far below the numbers in the new law.

·
Swollen Member
11,889 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,720 Posts
How does that thing go so fast loaded with all that weight?

Nemo

·
68,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
What's your beef against doing donuts? When I grew up, donuts in empty parking lots after a fresh snowfall was SOP.
I may or may not have done this on snowy days in police cars.

This post is fictional and does not bear any resemblance to persons living or dead. Any resemblance is purely coincidental.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts