Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
American
3,289 Posts
So, under this Bill someone has a single episode of depression that they get hospitalized for but that is completely resolved and unless they pay through the nose the event stays in their guvment file forever. Just frickin great. Which idiot sponsored this one?

PS: the only surprise is Harper - he's supposed to be a Republican.
Sponsored By
(1) Parent, Elena 42nd(2) Harper, Tyler 7th(3) Jones II, Harold 22nd
(4) Jones, Emanuel 10th(5) Rhett, Michael 'Doc' 33rd

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
So, under this Bill someone has a single episode of depression that they get hospitalized for but that is completely resolved and unless they pay through the nose the event stays in their guvment file forever. Just frickin great. Which idiot sponsored this one?
If you are involuntarily hospitalized this already occurs under OCGA 35-3-34. It appears that this bill provides a path to restoration in as little at 12 months from the date of release as compared to a mandated 5 years.

If you are voluntarily hospitalized, your NICS status should remain unaffected. However, if you became the victim of a paperwork snafu my reading is this bill should provide a clear path to fixing that issue.

·
American
3,289 Posts
If you are involuntarily hospitalized this already occurs under OCGA 35-3-34. It appears that this bill provides a path to restoration in as little at 12 months from the date of release as compared to a mandated 5 years.

If you are voluntarily hospitalized, your NICS status should remain unaffected. However, if you became the victim of a paperwork snafu my reading is this bill should provide a clear path to fixing that issue.
Thanks. Given the cast of sponsors I'll have to read the actual bill with real attention to detail because I'm concerned that there is some poison pill component buried in it given your analysis and, as I said, the history of the sponsors involved in this one.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
This bill moves out of committee.

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
Opinion: Gadzooks! A reasonable, bipartisan gun bill in Georgia

http://kylewingfield.blog.myajc.com...-a-reasonable-bipartisan-gun-bill-in-georgia/

I came across a unicorn under the Gold Dome this week: A gun bill that has bipartisan support and strengthens both gun rights and public safety.

Senate Bill 99 is largely the same as a bill that passed last year, only to be tacked onto an omnibus gun bill that Gov. Nathan Deal vetoed because of other parts of the bill (this was a separate bill from the campus-carry bill). The current version of the bill is a joint effort by Democrat Elena Parent of Atlanta and Republican Tyler Harper of Ocilla, and it addresses when a person who has been involuntarily hospitalized for mental illness or substance-abuse can have their right to purchase firearms restored. The Senate Public Safety Committee approved it unanimously Monday afternoon.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
This bill is up on the Senate floor now

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
This bill having received the requisite constitutional majority is therefore passed

The yeas are 52 the nays are 1

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
This bill having received the requisite constitutional majority is therefore passed

The yeas are 52 the nays are 1
Let me guess...........the one NO vote was Rep. Matt Gurtler?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Let me guess...........the one NO vote was Rep. Matt Gurtler?
This vote was on the Senate floor :rotfl:

but if this was the House... he would probably be the one.... If he voted on anything that wasn't campus carry

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
Reading the #gapol Twitter feed..........it seems Sen Bill Heath added his SB 49 Knife definition as a amendment to SB 99. They approved the amendment and then passed SB 99 on the Senate floor.

Please let me know if I am wrong about that.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Since we have knife preemption under SB 432 from a prior session, we can carry blades up to 12" long even in government buildings with screening if this is signed into law. :righton:

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
I'll be able to have a "tool" almost 12" long if this passes! :righton:

Wait! That didn't come out right. :lol:

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'll be able to have a "tool" almost 12" long if this passes! :righton:

Wait! That didn't come out right. :lol:
You went right past bragging straight into fantasy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts