SB 92 Allow detention for the purpose of determining if a person holds a GWCL

Discussion in 'Current Bills' started by 00Dan, Jan 29, 2017.

1. 00Dan

00Dan Member

2. Feral

Feral Active Member

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

We worked hard enough to get the Weapons License in line with the Driving License, why to they want to change it now? (As I didn't know by doing a web-search on the sponsors).

4. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Unfortunately if it passes, that will bring GA up to TX standards. Last year when OC became legal for license holders in TX, the LEOs insisted on being able to check for the License To Carry and the lawmakers agreed.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

There is already a GA Supreme Court Case that ruled an officer can not detain you to check for a carry license.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Cite?

7. Malum Prohibitum

This shows you where Georgia is headed one day. Changing demographics render this change inevitable.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Was that not covered by State v Jones saying a person may be considered armed and dangerous, and that just being armed does not meet that threshold?

Maybe I should go back and reread that case

9. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

And it will flip rapidly. Once the handwriting becomes apparent, many freedom lovers will move elsewhere.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Court of Appeals, and Jones was already detained based upon probable cause (tag light out) at the time of the search and weapons seizure.

Here is a GCO case from 2014, Eleventh Circuit, for your reading enjoyment. http://www.georgiacarry.com/county/mcintosh_carry/Opinion_of_11th_Circuit_Theobald.pdf

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  11. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

oooops

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  12. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

Assigned to the Judiciary Committee

13. Feral

Feral Active Member

Not necessarily. If many of us weren't so damn inclusive.

A lot of millennials are slowly leaning progun. But a lot of progun individuals are so difficult to socialize with and that makes it hard to attract those in the middle. I do my best to get my liberal/middle of the road friends to not fall for the anti gun propaganda. We should all do the same.

14. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

What bothers me is the folks on the right want more "stop and frisk".
    Safety first !

15. Feral

Feral Active Member

Yes. Both sides are equally guilty. The difference is very few of us are willing to admit our faults.

I'm out here advocating every chance I get. Either in person or online. I do my best to never single out a group. I try to represent us all in a respectful manner. But it's frustrating to see some of us undo all that work with a single sentence.

16. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

This is a dangerous law. We all know criminals don't OC and rarely use holsters. These people are going strictly off emotion. Our best bet is to get out in front of these things and educate the public on the truth. Unfortunately there are so many in the pro gun community who just sit on their hands and let others do the heavy lifting.

17. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

To be fair, most people have no idea what to do. Before GCO, I took the GGO approach. Only through spending time with the leadership, who were gracious enough to educate me, did I learn how to actually get things done in the legislature.

As leaders we have three jobs:
    - Educate the public on the realities of lawful carry.
    - Educate our legislators about why pro gun laws are good for the people.
    - Educate our members on how to become effective leaders in the pro-gun community.

18. Feral

Feral Active Member

::agree::

::applause::

Good post.

19. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

@TamSlick said something that stuck with me on this topic.

http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2016/12/if-you-cant-answer-question-answer.html

20. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

One of the sponsors is Vincent Fort. That is all you need to know.