SB 554, repeal Governor's emergency power over firearms

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by Gunstar1, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005 ... /sb554.htm

Submitted on the 15th, it has yet to be assigned to a committee.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Looks familiar.

Good! No New Orleans scenarios in Georgia!

:D

3. Malum Prohibitum

I am working on getting the exact same bill introduced in the House. Anybody who can offer help would be appreciated.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Also, for those of you who support this Senate Bill, and are motivated or care one way or the other, you should contact your Senator with a polite letter stating your desire to never see what happened in New Orleans repeated in the great State of Georgia.

Don't know who is your state senator?

Let the Georgia Secretary of State tell you!

Put in your information here: http://www.sos.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/Locator.asp

And the district number of your Senator will pop up!

You might also wish to thank Senator Powell (23d District). It is not often that someone has the guts to stand up and limit the executive's power, especially during a time of "emergency" (you do remember the declared "state of emergency" when gas prices went up a few months ago, don't you?).

I realize many posters here are Republican, but please keep in mind that Senator Powell is a Democrat when writing. Several "friendly" bills have been introduced this session by Democrats. This is a non-partisan issue. I would like to see this bill sponsored by members of both parties, as a bipartisan bill that limits the Governor's powers would have a better chance of success.

5. Malum Prohibitum

We need to try and get some Republicans to introduce this one in the House. So long as the sole sponsor is a Democrat (even a conservative one that is generally friendly to our interests as is Sen. Powell [23d Dist]) the Republican majority will not allow this bill to get any traction.

This bill should be a no brainer given what we saw on the news relating to gun confiscations in New Orleans.

To be fair to our current law, it has an exception for firearms lawfully obtained prior to the declaration of emergency, but how are you going to prove that when men in black with machine guns pointed at you have you handcuffed and sitting on the sidewalk (remember that news footage?).

Again, this bill should be a nor brainer, but that does not mean that it does not need your help. Contact your rep to get a House version going.

6. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Anyone here good with video? We could take all the video of gun confiscation, and hunting down of law abiding citizens and make our Reps/Senators watch it then ask them to pass this bill.

7. Malum Prohibitum

As of this morning, there is no Republican support for this bill. I am unaware of any corresponding bill in the House.

If you have a Republican Senator or Representative, shouldn't you find out why?

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I think the "why" is that no sitting Republican legislator wants to support a bill that takes power away from the governor, a major leader of that party.