Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Not really a "gun bill but it affects the 16-11-125.1 code section

First Reader Summary
A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Code Section 16-11-125.1 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to definitions for carrying and possession of firearms, so as to change provisions relating to the definition of a term; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Status History
Jan/24/2017 - Senate Hopper
SECTION 1.
7 Code Section 16-11-125.1 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to definitions
8 for carrying and possession of firearms, is amended by revising paragraph (2) as follows:
9 "(2) 'Knife' means a cutting pointed or sharp edged instrument designed for the purpose
10 of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than five 12 inches in length
11 which is fastened to a handle."

·
69,784 Posts
Removes "offense and defense" - neutral effect

and removes knives of 5 to 11.99999 inches from regulation - less regulation effect.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
My K-Bar would now be just a tool. OK. :applause:

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
Good start

I think less regulation of knives, especially less regulation of openly carry knives, it's a good thing .

Even though Senate Bill 49 doesn't specifically address open carry versus concealed carry, I think commonsense tells us that knives with blades of 12 inches or more are very unlikely to ever be carried concealed.

Giant daggers, swords, and machetes are all things that would people would carry openly and wear on their belt in a sheath or scabbard.

So this sounds like a good law. I am calling some senators today to ask them to support SB 49 . First to get it out of the Public Safety Committee, and then on for a full Senate vote .

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Being heard in Senate Public Safety Committee today.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Passed out of committee unanimously.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Makes me suspicious, too.
Thanks, hanging out here has made me a bit more paranoid. It's good to see that I'm not alone in my reaction. I reread the bill, brief as it is, and can't see a catch. But when the democrats endorse lessening government restrictions it does cause me to check.

·
69,784 Posts
Why the backhanded compliments? If your Representative is a Democrat and voted for it, please send a note expressing your gratitude.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I did not see this bill on the Senate Rules calendar for today. Does anyone know what the status of the bill currently is? Will it be voted on today?

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
I think about an hour ago, Senator Bill Heath added an Amendment to SB 99 that included his knife bill verbiage. Then SB 99 went on to pass a Senate floor vote 52-1.

Senate Press Office‏Verified account @GASenatePress 55 minutes ago

Am 1a to Am 1 of SB 99 redefines 'knife' to the original definition as defined in SB 99 #gapol #gasenate
Senate Press Office‏Verified account @GASenatePress 53m53 minutes ago

SB 99 passes by committee sub as amended by vote of 52-1 #gapol #gasenate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.