Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SB 304
Criminal Records; allow for the preservation of a person's involuntary hospitalization information received by Georgia Crime Information
http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20152016/SB/304

First Reader Summary
A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Code Section 35-3-34 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to disclosure and dissemination of criminal records to private persons and businesses, resulting responsibility and liability of issuing center, and provision of certain information to the FBI in conjunction with the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, so as to allow for the preservation of a person's involuntary hospitalization information received by the Georgia Crime Information Center; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Sponsored By
(1) Parent, Elena 42nd(2) Jones II, Harold 22nd

Status History
Jan/28/2016 - Senate Hopper
Feb/02/2016 - Senate Read and Referred

Committees
SC: Public Safety

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
I was wondering when the anti's would find this.

I could be wrong, but as far as I am aware, there is no way in Georgia to have your name removed from GCIC for involuntary commitment other than what this bill proposes to eliminate.

Unless there is some generic ad-hoc method a probate judge would come up with to remove the record.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,676 Posts
So that proposal needs to be amended and then passed. The amendment would make it clear that once you were released from involuntary committment your name was removed from the GCIC and NICS prohibition list.

That would be a great way to make this bill work proper.

Nemo

·
Just a Man
6,037 Posts
Gov. Deal signed this into law today.

https://gov.georgia.gov/documents/sb-304-0

ETA: This bill ended up not being anything like the original bill as written. More to do with:
relating to
2 general provisions for law enforcement officers and agencies, so as to provide requirements
3 for submitting certain evidence collected from a forensic medical examination to the Georgia
4 Bureau of Investigation; to provide for definitions; to provide for procedure; to provide for
5 reporting; to provide for a short title; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting
6 laws; and for other purposes.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
27,998 Posts
The "as passed" (AP) version of SB 304 isn't the same as what is linked in the original post here in this thread.

The link above has a SB 304 that is called the "Compassionate Care for Victims of Sexual Assault Act" and it has to do with evidence collected in sexual assault cases. The goal is to make sure that evidence is reviewed by law enforcement for possible use in a criminal proceeding against the offender, and not just discarded or ignored for whatever reason.

I don't see any connection to guns, gun control, self-defense, GWL qualifications, or anything similar in this bill -- as passed.

·
Just a Man
6,037 Posts
Would somebody please take a stab at summarizing what SB 304 does? I guess since it is becoming law we need to know.
It was completely changed from the original bill from what I read. It now has to do with:
This Act shall be known and may be cited as the "Compassionate Care for Victims of Sexual Assault Act."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts