Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Reader Summary
A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Article 15 of Chapter 1 of Title 10 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to deceptive or unfair practices, so as to prohibit the discriminatory refusal to provide credit or financial services to those persons engaged in the lawful commerce of firearms or ammunition products; to provide for a short title; to provide definitions; to provide for civil causes of action; to provide for action by the Attorney General; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.
http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20152016/SB/282

Assigned to: Banking and Financial Institutions

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
So we could finally buy firearms and ammo with paypal :D.
Interestingly enough.. I recently ordered ammo from Academy online and was surprised to see Paypal as an option.

Guess paypal doesn't care if your volume is high enough. Just for giggles I placed a large ammo order from them and paid with paypal... just to spite them.

·
Custom User Title
1,973 Posts
Right. It happened to me as well, with Accademy.
By the way they should introduce a bill to protect "(i) certain sexually oriented materials or services" (PayPal Acceptable Use Policy) as well. Why only firearms and ammunition products?

By the way, what if providing "credit or financial services to those persons engaged in the lawful commerce of firearms or ammunition products" goes against someone's religious believes?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
How bout we let business owner's run their businesses how they see fit and leave the gov out of it?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I think this is a reaction to PayPal, Square and others who refuse to process financial transactions involving firearms or ammunition. Also a state slap at the Federal Operation ChokePoint, which also targeted lawful gun dealers and tried to deny them access to banking resources under the guise of "risk management". In the software license world, there is a concept known as RAND, short for Routine And Non-Discriminatory, which means your software can be used by anyone who pays the fee or signs a cross-licensing agreement. Same thing should apply to businesses. As long as it is lawful commerce, you should not be able to deny financial processing services to anyone based on their goods or services sold. No different than not discriminating against customers based on age, sex, skin color, or religion.

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
As long as it is lawful commerce, you should not be able to deny financial processing services to anyone based on their goods or services sold. No different than not discriminating against customers based on age, sex, skin color, or religion.
I think this is where a big wrinkle comes in to play.

With firearms and accessories... you have companies that sell products that may/may not be legal in various states and that's a great excuse for these companies to refuse service.

For example... a company that sells a 17rd Glock magazine... not legal in the state of NY. It's too burdensome for the financial processor to ensure legality in the ship to state... so they just refuse the business.

I'm not saying it's right... but it's more complicated than just legal/illegal products in this industry.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Interestingly enough.. I recently ordered ammo from Academy online and was surprised to see Paypal as an option.

Guess paypal doesn't care if your volume is high enough. Just for giggles I placed a large ammo order from them and paid with paypal... just to spite them.
I was going to post this, I actually bought a shotgun using paypal at Academy.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I think this is where a big wrinkle comes in to play.

With firearms and accessories... you have companies that sell products that may/may not be legal in various states and that's a great excuse for these companies to refuse service.

For example... a company that sells a 17rd Glock magazine... not legal in the state of NY. It's too burdensome for the financial processor to ensure legality in the ship to state... so they just refuse the business.

I'm not saying it's right... but it's more complicated than just legal/illegal products in this industry.
That's easy, hold the financial processor legally harmless. It is the transfer of the item that is illegal, regardless of whether or not payment is made or in what form so prosecute the folks involved in the actual transfer.

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
That's easy, hold the financial processor legally harmless. It is the transfer of the item that is illegal, regardless of whether or not payment is made or in what form so prosecute the folks involved in the actual transfer.
I'm not saying this is the true reason that they deny service to 2a businesses... I'm saying that's the excuse. There's a difference.

They certainly don't mind taking payment for them hoverboard thingies... and it's only a matter of time until they kill someone... if they haven;t already.

It's simply a means of using their power to push their beliefs.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I'm not saying this is the true reason that they deny service to 2a businesses... I'm saying that's the excuse. There's a difference.

They certainly don't mind taking payment for them hoverboard thingies... and it's only a matter of time until they kill someone... if they haven;t already.

It's simply a means of using their power to push their beliefs.
Agreed. It is an excuse, not a reason. I am saying hold them to the same non-discriminatory language the justice department invented ("public accommodation") to force integration of lunch counters in the Civil Rights era. Laws should work regardless of ideology.

·
Swollen Member
11,887 Posts
How bout we let business owner's run their businesses how they see fit and leave the gov out of it?
Exactly. This is a more government, more regulation bill on private business.

·
Swollen Member
11,887 Posts
As long as it is lawful commerce, you should not be able to deny financial processing services to anyone based on their goods or services sold. No different than not discriminating against customers based on age, sex, skin color, or religion.
I think businesses should be able to serve or not serve whoever they please for any reason they wish -- yes, any reason they wish.

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
This is a great point.

There's several billion dollars of revenue up for grabs here... a good opportunity for someone to step in an take that business.

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts

You spited them by making a large transaction and giving them 3% of the proceeds? Please feel free to spite me anytime you're in the mood.

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
Spite only in that they completed a transaction that they say they do not allow.

I get that they made money... some one was going to... If you'll provide me with a credit card company/processor that doesn't share the same beliefs I'll gladly use them.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I think businesses should be able to serve or not serve whoever they please for any reason they wish -- yes, any reason they wish.
I agree completely, but as long as leftists are going to make up laws to advance their agenda, I say we make them actually live under those laws. Either "public accommodation" works both ways or strike it from the law.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts