SB 263 - Transfers the regulation of firearm dealers

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by Malum Prohibitum, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Anybody had a chance to read this yet? http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005 ... _263_2.htm

Generally, I think it is a good thing to move regulation of firearms dealers away from law enforcement and over to tax collection people. The federal government just did the opposite by moving ATF from Treasury over to DOJ.

Any thoughts?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Nobody has any thoughts on this bill?

:sleep:

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I will try to read it tonight.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks. The "Georgia Gun Owners" web site is back up, and they were ranting against this bill like it was a reincarnation of the Third Reich, claiming it creates a State-level BATF and all sorts of other things. Given that it does not appear to create any organization, and given that it moves oversight of gun dealers away from law enforcement and over to revenue collection (where it should be), I found their claims a little implausible.

On the federal level, the BATF was recently moved from Treasury to DOJ as part of this "Homeland Security" restructuring, which I think was a big mistake. It looks like Georgia is moving in the opposite direction, which I would think is a good thing, but I would like some other eyes on SB 263 to determine if there is something I am overlooking.

Something in the back of my mind says that if Georgia Gun Owners is so worked up about it, maybe there must be something nefarious about the bill? :sly:

5. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I read the same as you. Not quite sure why they are worked up.

6. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Hmmm... Why is that gun dealers need to be regulated?

7. Malum Prohibitum

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed, jrm. But this bill does not add any regulation.

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Well, it doesn't directly add regulation. But, notice that it enables the Department of Revenue to promulgate regulations. Have you ever met a self-respecting administrative agency that didn't accept an invitation to make more rules? If an agency doesn't make rules to enforce, it might run out of usefulness. I don't see the striking of a provision that the Dept. of Public Safety had authority to promulgate regulations, so I'm inferring that this is a new power, never before seen on the gun dealer landscape. It scares me.