SB 26 [Snip} carrying firearms during states of emergency

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by mountainpass, Jan 27, 2011.

1. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en- ... tion=32182
    2011-2012 Regular Session - SB 26
    Firearms; prohibit any additional limitations on carrying firearms during states of emergency

Click for Summary Only

Sponsored By
    (1) Shafer 48th(2) Sims 12th(3) Seabaugh 28th

(4) Albers 56th(5) Ginn 47th(6) Goggans 7th

First Reader Summary
    A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Part 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to carrying and possession of firearms, so as to prohibit any additional limitations on carrying firearms during states of emergency; to provide civil remedies for violations; to provide for related matters; to provide an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

2. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

:D

3. moga

moga New Member

It's long been time that we pass a bill containing the language from the Emergency Powers Act.

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Good bill! Thanks for keeping us posted.

5. William

William Member

Re: SB 26 [Snip} carrying firearms during states of emergenc

6. krmbigmac

krmbigmac Active Member

Glad to see Ginn as a sponsor

7. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

Oh just wait until my senator Nan Orrock gets on the well. She'll have a field day. It'll almost be worth going to watch! :lol:

8. AV8R

AV8R Banned

... because a declared state of emergency is the time you really need to be carrying.

:righton:

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

10. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Remember, the Feds or the National guard can still come in and try to confiscate weapons. The only good thing is that it gives local Sheriff's a leg to stand on, since the Governor never gave an order to limit firearms during the time of Emergency. The local Sheriff could go tell the National Guard or the Feds where they could go.

11. rah45

rah45 New Member

:righton:

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Try?

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You are not implying that gun owners would resist the feds or our "boys in uniform" for following orders during an emergency are you?

14. AV8R

AV8R Banned

It would be a hell of a "try" when the Sheriff is backed by hundreds of armed citizens. :D

15. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I'm definitely not knocking the bill or anything. I like how it spells the issue out boldly. I'm just seeing what more I can learn.

I've never quite understood exactly where the problem is. Don't the Emergency Management statutes expressly exempt individual firearms of individual people? Why is there all the anxiety about getting guns (legally) confiscated?

It even says the firearm can be "thereafter acquired" after the emergency has been declared, apparently.

I read this as saying you can bring your firearms (well maybe just one) when you're evacuating your house, but you can't bring your beer.

Also, yes, I'm nit-picking, but being as this bill is about restricting the action of government during an emergency, wouldn't it better go in TITLE 38. MILITARY, EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT, AND VETERANS AFFAIRS, not in TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES?

16. ber950

ber950 Active Member

In an emergency how are you going to prove you OWN it? Thats what NO was doing confiscating until the owner could prove ownership. Some laws that sound good don't work out well.

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

So until we get a "Katrina Bill" passed here in GA, the only gun that better leave your house during an emergency is a NFA weapons with its registration form?

18. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I expect all Federal employees and military to follow the Constitution of the United States of America, that they all took an oath to defend, against enemies foreign and domestic. I think that just about sums it up.