Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2017-2018 Regular Session - SB 135
Carrying and Possession of Firearms; carrying of weapons in government buildings; prohibit

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20172018/SB/135

Sponsored By
(1) Jones, Emanuel 10th(2) Jones II, Harold 22nd(3) Tate, Horacena 38th
(4) Rhett, Michael 'Doc' 33rd(5) Henson, Steve 41st(6) Seay, Valencia 34th

Committees
SC: Judiciary 02/08/2017
HC:

First Reader Summary
A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Part 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to carrying and possession of firearms, so as to prohibit all carrying of weapons in government buildings; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Status History
Feb/07/2017 - Senate Hopper
Feb/08/2017 - Senate Read and Referred

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'm not surprised. Trying to outlaw things we already made legal. Furthermore, things that aren't an issue.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Just as expected, same cast of democrats sponsoring it. No turncoat republican this time though.

·
69,784 Posts
Do we expect this to gain any momentum or is it DOA?
Out of committee on Monday, passed the Senate on Tuesday, and it is over at the House this morning set for a committee hearing. This one appears to be on a fast track.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Wrote to my state representative, who is a good guy. Hopefully we can stop this in the House.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Do they have any reasoning behind proposing this bill?

Have license holders been problematic in government buildings? (No.)

This sounds like another case of incremental infringements.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,413 Posts
Out of committee on Monday, passed the Senate on Tuesday, and it is over at the House this morning set for a committee hearing. This one appears to be on a fast track.
You funning us? It's only had its first reading and Senate committee referral today (Wed).

Where is this information quoted from? It's not on the web page for the bill. I only see it in today's Proposed First Readers list.
Committees
SC: Judiciary 02/08/2017
HC:
Status History
Feb/07/2017 - Senate Hopper
Feb/08/2017 - Senate Read and Referred

·
Registered
175 Posts
You funning us? It's only had its first reading and Senate committee referral today (Wed).

Where is this information quoted from? It's not on the web page for the bill. I only see it in today's Proposed First Readers list.
I certainly hope he's just trolling. It isn't right to screw with people over stuff like this.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Well, regardless I got this response in <2 hours from my state rep:

Great hearing from you!

I highly doubt this bill is going anywhere, but even if it does, it will surely not receive a vote in the GA House.

Thanks,
John
Rep. John Carson (R - NE Cobb, SE Cherokee)
District #46
Georgia House of Representatives

·
Registered
421 Posts
Turn around would be fun. Change it to read " so as to prohibit all carrying of weapons in government buildings, unless a valid GWCL is shown"

·
Registered
846 Posts
Bad MP, naughty, naughty, MP! (But funny as hell)

·
Registered
88 Posts
So then I suppose the city/county will be paying police officers to stand around in every government building in their respective AO? With our tax dollars... OR they could not create problems for law abiding citizens for no damn good reason.

·
Registered
421 Posts
So then I suppose the city/county will be paying police officers to stand around in every government building in their respective AO? With our tax dollars... OR they could not create problems for law abiding citizens for no damn good reason.
Maybe they are tired of paying to keep license holders out and just want to go back to the magic words?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Trust me, most local governments want to go back to the magic words to keep out lawful carriers. Unfortunately, those magic words don't work to keep out criminals.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts