Saw open carry!

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by GAGunOwner, Sep 18, 2006.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I saw a guy open carrying last saturday (09/16) at about 10:45 am. He was riding a motorcycle on 75-South. I think he got off on the Red Top Mountain exit.

White T-shirt, black cloth holster, black semi-auto pistol.

It was really cool.

Was this guy one of you?

2. wwomack

wwomack New Member

When I saw that subject line "Saw open carry" for some reason my mind pictured a guy with a wood saw in a holster on his hip. I was a little disapointted to read about motorcycle carry (but not much). :)

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Hmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of "SAW open carry" and couldn't think of a way that anyone could concealed carry a Squad Automatic Weapon....

[​IMG]

4. wwomack

wwomack New Member

REALLY big trench coat.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I saw several people open carrying over Labor Day weekend (Communist Day). I saw several others with bulges under their shirts.

Nobody panicked.

No SWAT team showed up.

6. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

In the words of Malum Prohibitum...

Did you call the police! :shock:

:lol:

7. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

This is my every day carry rig:

[​IMG]

8. tanker301

tanker301 New Member

my 2 cents,

Well, I don't believe Class 3 and AOW are covered by any states carry permit. Nor would be your use of such in a defensesive situatution without extenuating circumstanses(ie: an attempting car jacking while transporting your MP-5 to a shooting range and it was the only firearm you had). O.K. that's an extreme example and would probably make a really cool posting on any forum if such a situation befell one of us. Anyone agree?

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

mzmtg, you really should smile when your picture is taken. You look like you just smelled a fart.

10. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Re: Well....

Anyone able to confirm this? If I'm reading this correctly, one could carry a tactical shotgun or even an AR 15 openly without a GFL.

Is this referenced in 16-11-128?

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Omitted from Statute

Long guns are left out of the law that forbids carrying handguns without a license. Therefore that particular law, 16-11-128, does not apply to long guns. IF there is a law against carrying rifles or shotguns openly without a GFL, that law must be found somewhere else in the Code, because by its own plain language, 16-11-128 only makes it a crime to carry "ANY PISTOL OR REVOLVER"... "...provided further, that the PISTOL OR REVOLVER...." And in subsection "C" dealing with reciprocity, the law references "A HANDGUN" and "THE HANDGUN".

12. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Well, I hope carrying a long gun isn't a crime, because I just carried my new Mosin from the car to the apartment, all the way across the parking lot, in plain view of about 50 people at the pool.

And it sure as hell qualifies as a long gun. With the bayonet attached it's nearly as tall as me.

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Re: Omitted from Statute

Correct, so the only other law regarding carry is 16-11-126.
    Part (c) only talks about "concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm"

So you must open carry your rifle or shotgun. Unless it is small enough to conceal, in which case you must have a GFL and have the firearm in a holster, clip or similar device.

(firearms - handguns = rifles and shotguns)
    Didn't learn this math in grade school

14. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Guns:

I really like the way your brain functions... Maybe because I had the same thought....... :lol:

That sure would be a fun toy though...... :minigun: And my wife complains about how much I spend on ammo now..... :cry: Hoo boy!!!

15. M249

M249 New Member

You could always get the gub'ment to provide one for ya... as long as you're between 18 and 40, a few other minor requirements, and willing to travel up to 75% in the course of your job. :D

Hooah!

16. ctdonath

ctdonath Member

Wrong.

When in NY, I had - entirely legally - a Mossberg 590 AOW.
    [​IMG]
    According to NY, it was just another pistol, and was registered as such on my carry permit. Carrying it concealed - even into bars - was entirely legal.
    ...although the sheriff who signed off on it was startled by the request and noted "in 13 years in this office _nobody_ has _ever_ asked me to sign a Form 4; I'll sign this but I'd better never hear anything about it again", and the county clerk made a double-take when recording the caliber as "12ga" (I explained it was a "collector's item").

The feds define it as a "smoothbore pistol". As such, I don't know that GA views it as anything other than a pistol.

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

18. M249

M249 New Member

Nice.