Saw a sign for the first time limiting carry into a hospital

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Jan 2, 2007.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

My wife had some tests performed in a hospital last week and for the first time ever I saw a sign on the front of the glass door as you enter that prohibited firearms and quoted 16-11-127. It did allow carry; however, for police officers, judges, etc. I have been to this hospital before and had never seen this sign anywhere. Not even on the front entrance. Although I must say that we have never been to this actual department of the hospital before which was located in the very back of the hospital.

2. GeorgiaGlocker

Placed above in wrong spot by mistake.

Edit Gunstar1: moved to correct spot

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Were they citing publicly owned or operated building...or public gathering?

4. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I appreciate the citation to the other post, however, it doesn't answer my question...unless I missed it somewhere.

If the hospital is private then they have the right to ask you to leave, but, does that also mean that a person could potentially be in violation of the "public gathering" section of 16.11.127? If so, why is it different than going to the mall where people "gather" for a specific purpose on private property?

If it is public, then I think 16.11.127 is clear enough.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I had no intention of answering your question.

And who can? Maybe the person who decided to post the sign?

The point of posting the other thread was to show that there is no way for the average hospital visitor to know ahead of time whether he is entering a publicly owned and operated building or a privately owned and operated building.

As to the other part of your question, I do not think that the average hospital has people gathering "for a particular function" on most business days. :wink:

:?:

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The debate on hospitals ended up with a bit of grey-area/confusion.

County Hospitals are typically publicly owned and therefore under 127.

Private Hospitals are usually fully privately owned and do not fall under 127. However, some privately owned hospitals contract with local cities/counties to provide 911 ambulance and ER service. If public funds are providing the service then you could say the ER was publicly operated.

So basically what it boils down to is that you have to know (before you go) how the hospital's accounting/finances are set up and funded before you know if it is off-limits or not.

7. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Ah...that's where my mistake was Malum. Normally when I see a response following a question I assume that the person was attempting to answer the question. Sorry. My bad. :)

GS1, Following your logic about the ER as potentially being a public place in a private institution, then I guess the same might hold true for those stores, like Wal-Mart, that allow the local Sheriff to setup a remote office?

And I thought that I had a generally good idea of where I could safely carry, which is basically on my own property...unless of course I cross that line that defines an easement...

8. Malum Prohibitum

Well, just for future reference, I just get on and blab about all sorts of irrelevancies. It is a wonder GS1 even lets me post anymore! :lol:

9. Malum Prohibitum

Walmart not off limits, Sheriff's Department remote office within the WalMart - definitely off limits.

10. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Although this was in Kentucky and not Georgia, my Mom's assisted living facility has signs posted at all entrances stating weapons, and concealed weapons, are prohibited.

So, I left my gun in the car. I really didn't know if the sign was legal, but I didn't want to potentially cause a problem should anyone realize I was carrying.

11. GeorgiaGlocker

For what it's worth. This was the same day services department of the hospital.

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Only in the area that they lease/rent, yes that is the way I read it (not all of Walmart, just the Office itself). Just like a mall itself is not off-limits but a restaurant inside that sells alcohol makes the area they lease/rent off-limits. In the hospital's case (if it was a private hospital with publicly funded ER) then the ER would be off-limits but other parts of the hospital would not be (most hospitals have a seperate emergency entrance away from the one for scheduled services).

13. Manwell

Manwell New Member

Here’s my recommendation: Don’t tell anyone you are carrying a gun and don’t do anything that would put you in the position of being searched.

There ya go… problem solved!

Manwell