Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Savannah Trade & Convention Center will host the annual Christmas in the South craft show this coming weekend. My wife will be dragging me along :D . Would this venue be off-limits? This seems like a gray area due to the fact that the building is owned by the city. It is managed by a private contractor however.
http://www.savtcc.com/index.php

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
budder said:
What entity is housed there?
OK...No entity that I know of is located there. The law, in my opinion is not black or white and seems open for interpretation. Am I wrong here?

·
16,485 Posts
Well, if you look at the law here, it's certainly not black and white. It's black and xFFF8d9, which is pretty close. It says:

(b) A person shall be guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while:
(1) In a government building;
(2) In a courthouse;
(3) In a jail or prison;
(4) In a place of worship;
(5) In a state mental health facility...
(6) In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders;
(7) On the premises of a nuclear power facility...
(8) Within 150 feet of any polling place...
You said it was owned by the city. I am assuming that your question is only in reference to (b)(1). For a definition of government building, we go back up to (a)(3):
(3) "Government building" means:
(A) The building in which a government entity is housed;
(B) The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such government entity is meeting at such building; or
(C) The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a government entity.
(A)- You don't think an entity is housed there, so if you are right, it's not a government building under (3)(A).
(B)- Does a government entity meet there? It's publicly owned, so it could be off-limits under this section. However, I really can't imagine a government entity being humble enough to meet in a convention center. They tend to want their own [s:1cbixzki]waste of taxpayer dollars[/s:1cbixzki] buildings.
(C)- Doesn't apply because the building is publicly owned.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As to not be a test case, I shall go CC :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have been to several conferences held at the Savannah Trade/Convention center... I always have CC there... no problems at all.
and CERTAINLY have it with you while walking on the city side of town...

·
Registered
683 Posts
All this means is we still have alot of work to do on the laws!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts