Savannah Mayor considering face mask requirement

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by phantoms, Jun 23, 2020.

1. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Ignoring the fact that the Governor's order states cities can not make any rules/laws/orders stricter than the State EO, Savannah's King Mayor Van Johnson says he's considering mandating people wear mask anyway.

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Let me guess...

The Savannah dictator lord king ruler (oh I got it) mayor is a democRAT...

Nothern_Defector likes this.

3. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Savannah/ Chatham County has always been self ruled whether it be by a white administration or a black one regardless of political affiliation.

4. Clark

Clark Active Member

Stupid idea. If you want to wear one, do so, I won't judge you, but don't make the rest of do. If you feel that's what's required to protect yourself, so be it, but don't for that on me.

5. HJB

HJB Active Member

Masks are not worn "to protect yourself" but to protect others from you. How hard is that to understand ? That's been told to the public over and over again, so it really should be well understood. So if you believe the science but are not willing to wear a mask in public areas, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

6. Clark

Clark Active Member

Well if you're wearing a mask, then how am I going to be a risk to you? Either they work, or they don't, masks are not one-way except for the kind with exhalation valves which I see plenty of people wearing.

7. HJB

HJB Active Member

I guess you don't believe what the "experts" are saying about wearing a mask. If you don't believe them then I won't try to convince you.

But that is why sometimes these things have to be mandated.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  8. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. No wonder he has a daily news briefing to stay relevant and wants his dictatorship to be able to dictate everything. Guess next he'll be hollering for some stop and frisk.

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Oh, so now you're trying to apply logic?

There's plenty of science that masks do more harm than good, on multiple levels. Aside from the spacing of threads in masks being much larger than the size of the virus, some masks are difficult to breathe through and hypoxia (especially when worn all day). They can capture some droplets coughed or sneezed out (which is what those advocating for the masks want to have happen), but then the droplets are re-inhaled by the wearer. Sneezing or coughing is part of the immune system, a mechanism for expelling foreign invaders (like viruses. Why keep the expectorated material next to your nose and mouth to cause re-inhalation? Then there is the large number of people who wear their masks on their chins or pull them down to speak. I was at a doctor's office yesterday where the receptionist did that.

10. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

However much they believe masks help in crowded situations and thus should be mandated, my problem is that they too easily use those mandates to do stupid things like accost a surfer for not wearing one by himself out in the ocean.

That shows the mandate was more important than the mask.

TimBob likes this.
  11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

The "experts" have done nothing but prove themselves totally incompetent from the beginning of this so-called pandemic. There is no consistency in anything they've done or said except to be consistently wrong in everything from their their projections to their advice. These "experts" have no business determining national or state policy. They aren't our elected officials. Their job is to provide advice and let the elected officials determine what the policy should be, whether it agrees with their advice or not.

And there are lots of other experts who vehemently disagree with these "experts" like Fauci and Birks but are ignored for whatever reasons. But you go right ahead being an apologist for the Faucis of the world. The Karens will adore you for it.

Savannah Dan, TimBob and GM404 like this.
  12. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

This x1000. This clown, with hundreds of other local "leaders" have used this entire chaotic time to politicize and is nothing more than posturing. Some are looking for re-election or looking to move up in the political world and by coming up with this BS, they can say, "LOOK!!! KEMP DIDN'T WANT TO SAVE YOU...BUT I DID!!!"

Nothern_Defector and torp like this.
  13. HJB

HJB Active Member

Yes, and that is exactly what happened. The experts advised, and the elected official set the policy. So what are you complaining about ? You got the system you are advocating for aren't you ?

14. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

They ain't that desperate.

15. moe mensale

When elected officials devise policy based on one-sided advice, that is bad policy and the public suffers for it. There was no advice offered by experts who disagreed with "experts" Fauci, Birx, etc because none of them were ever consulted. The "experts" at the CDC and NIH owned the playing field. They're not going to allow opposing viewpoints to be considered. Keep up the cheerleading. You're doing a fantastic job.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  16. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

17. moe mensale

18. HJB

HJB Active Member

So you wanted elected officials to decide based on advice, and when they decide to do what you don't like, then you disagree with the advice. You don't have a clue what advice they got and who they got it from.

I'm not cheerleading for anyone. I'm only pointing out that if it doesn't go your way, you are going to complain. In the mean time, put on your mask !

19. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Savannah's mayor is an educated idiot. He doesn't want hardly anything to be open in Savannah. I've noticed that people who don't want cities to open all get to go to work every day, so they are not really affected by shutdowns. Screw the lot of them. It's not the friggin plague.

20. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

The people don't want to go to work (as long as stimulus and extra unemployment keeps rolling in).