Savannah "Gun Buy Back"

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by mountainpass, Nov 15, 2016.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I wonder if Alderman Johnson realizes that such weapons, by Georgia Law, must be sold to the public? Not that most jurisdictions appear to be complying with that law.

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Corrected to burst the alderman's political bubble.

3. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

I heard about the gun buy back on the TV as I was heading out of the house this morning and my reaction was, "Yeah! Game on!"

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Yada yada yada .....private.....no government money......dont have to sell......private property can do with as we please......change 2012 law....not likely.....get illegal guns off street.

My question is this - how do you, as a private citizen, LEGALLY but illegal guns? Just wondering.

5. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

"Alderman Van Johnson helped spearhead with a local non-profit to buy back guns from young people across the community.
    They bought five guns in six weeks. That's when they realized there's no law preventing a non-government organization from destroying those guns.
    "The police should not receive the weapons because we have to re-sell them.â€
    Savannah-Chatham Metro Police say the department doesn't want anything to do with these guns, or others collected under the new community gun buyback program, because once these guns are turned over to law enforcement agencies, they must re-sell them to licensed dealers."

6. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

“Get the gun, call us we’ll come and get it,†adds Johnson.

7. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I just now posted this comment at WSAV:

So, a private group, Savannah Youth City, is buying guns they know up front are likely stolen? Isn't there a law or two against that in Georgia? You know, like receiving stolen property?

One may argue that the group plans to turn the guns over to police, but in the meantime, they have illegally given criminals money for their stolen goods, that the criminals get to keep. Money that could be used to buy ammo for their other stolen guns to kill people with.

Will police surveillance be secretly in use? You know, like taking photos of tag numbers and people for possible evidence? If not, why not?

Is the news media capable of asking these questions?

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

9. kristensdaddy

kristensdaddy Member

Isn't this the "gun-show-loophole" they decry? Private citizens buying guns from private citizens? It's OK for them to do it but if I want to buy or sell I need to go through an FFL? Sounds like crap to me.

10. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

http://scmpd.org/gun-buyback-program-not-associated-with-scmpd/

I asked them who is running the serial numbers for them. If I get a response I'll post it.

Edit
    SAVANNAH, GA (November 23, 2016): The Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department supports lawful initiatives that properly remove guns from individuals who are prohibited from possessing a firearm by law. However, there appears to be some confusion regarding a local gun buyback program and the SCMPD’s role. The recently announced gun buyback program is a private venture and the SCMPD is not affiliated.

The SCMPD opposes any prohibited individual from possessing a firearm. Under Georgia law, certain prohibitions exist regarding possession of a firearm. A convicted felon, anyone under 18-years-old and anyone having been involuntarily hospitalized as an inpatient at any mental hospital or drug or alcohol treatment center cannot legally possess a firearm.

Every year in Savannah SCMPD officers confiscate hundreds of illegal guns from criminals. Many of these guns are stolen from vehicles and homes. The SCMPD encourages all legal gun owners to properly secure their weapons. Additionally, the SCMPD encourages all legal gun owners to record and safely store their firearm’s serial number, make and model.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  11. Phil1979

Also ask who is photographing donators and their vehicle tag numbers to help get criminals off the street and not just their broken guns.

12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

My question stands from a week ago - how do law abiding citizens buy illegal guns? Which begs the question - are they illegal or merely guns that the Alderman and others don't like?

If they are actually illegal, and these are non-law enforcement citizens buying them, then BATF really needs to actually do their job and investigate.

13. Phil1979

Perhaps some open records requests to the officials involved could glean some insights?