Savannah .22 shooting competitions/league

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by mathar1, Oct 4, 2010.

1. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

I am setting up the .22 league and need some input. What times would work best? I am looking at one week night and then one saturday morning so it is done twice a month. The rules are simple..

1) 2 classes...one with optics and one iron sights only
    2)Targets and situations will vary. (one time might be "poker" the next might be "darts" and then some straight bullseye for instance)
    3)$20 to get in...$15 goes to the range and $5 of each entry will go to a pot for the winner (or split between 1st and 2nd (?))

Any suggestions will be appreciated and the sooner I get them the sooner we will be up and running! :righton:

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I think $20 is pretty steep, but if you advertise it well
    (print flyers, hang a sign on the wall behind the counter at the gun shop, put it on your business' website, and spread the word on gun chat sites like this one)
    enough people should come and give it a try, even for $20.

I like the idea of shooting twice a month, so long as you don't "have to" shoot both times to be eligible for prizes, or bragging rights, whatever. Many shooters can't commit to getting to the range once a month, much less twice.

Question: When it comes to equipment, obviously it makes sense to put optics-equipped guns in a different class.
    But what about the type and quality of gun, or what modifications it has?
    Should the person using a factory-standard $99 Marlin or Savage rifle and a $19 BSA scope compete on equal terms with the guy who has the Anschutz match rifle ($1300) and a Zeiss 6x -24x scope ($400).
    Same with pistols. Does the person with the 7" barreled High Standard Trophy with a crisp 3 lb. trigger pull go head to head with the fellows who bring the 4" S&W Kit Gun (Mod 34) or the 5.5" Ruger semi-auto with the factory 6-lb trigger full of creep and overtravel?

Such situations can be discouraging to the folks who have garden-variety firearms, since they have a huge disadvantage just based on their equipment, regardless of their skill level.

3. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

The $20 price is so people can win something EVERY shoot. I can drop it to $15 and they can shoot for bragging rights alone. At $20 I can do drawings for t-shirts/hats or range passes and the winner can EARN something extra.The purpose of twice a month is flexibility.

I am debating an "open" class for high end shooters but I simply do not have the massive volume of shooters to bgreak it into too many classes.

I want pistol/rifle. Then break those into iron sight/optics.Maybe a ladies class. Then add one open class for high end stuff. ????

4. clps

clps New Member

You may put a prize on the number of shooters, say 5 per class starts prize, up to that would just be bragging.
    The fee what ever works even -- what ever will work in your area.

I'm starting a new match in Nov 2 position, Prone and standing. This will be indoor meet twice a month for
    5 months untial (Spring) . This match will be on a point system, some targets will also minus points and like Dirt Track one shoot will be double points.

5. gunsmoker

Bump to ask Mathar1 for an update.

How's the .22 league going over there?

And I have 2 questions for anybody else:

1-- What kind of indoor-range .22 shooting events have you seen or participated in before? Please briefly describe both the kind of targets, the course of fire, and how popular it was (how many people showed up for each match.) And how often would they meet?

2-- What kind of indoor -range .22 rifle and .22 pistol shooting events would you LIKE to see organized at some indoor range near you? What sort of targets would you like to shoot at? About how many rounds fired per target? Any time limits, or just let people go at their own pace within reason? Any prizes awarded? Are you willing to pay a few more bucks for the match fee to fund a small prize to be immediately given to the winner for that day? How often would there be matches?

6. gunsmoker

Answering my own question about experience with other .22 indoor competitions.

1-- Many years ago I was on a .22 pistol league at On Target off Hwy 41 and Windy Hill Rd in Smyrna.
    This was back in the day when "Po Folks" wasn't ashamed of being "Po" and Uncle Roland's had a giant cow above their business on the other corner of that intersection.

There were several members of the league each season. At least 5 of us would shoot each match day. Matches were once a month, if I recall correctly, and we usually had 4-7 people attend. Always one weeknight each month. We shot the standard 50-foot NRA pistol targets at 50 feet. All 1-handed. Slow fire first. Then timed fire (20 seconds to shoot 5 shots, done twice). Then rapid fire (10 seconds to shoot 5 shots, done twice.) Most people used iron sights, but this was back in the mid-1980s when red dot scopes were just getting popular. No prizes were given away weekly, but scores were recorded. At the end of the season there were small prizes and a trophy to the first place winner, and a couple plaques / certificates suitable for framing to the 2nd and 3rd place competitors.

2-- I've done the Bowling Pin matches at Wild West Traders before, both with centerfire and rimfire pistols.
    Those matches are Wildly popular (pun intended). Standing room only, 30+ people just filling the range and retail store area of the shop. Most people shoot centerfire, but a few of us did the .22 division. If you used a .22, you didn't have to get the pins off the table-- just knocking them over was enough.

P.S. I've never seen a bowling pin match for .22 rifles, but it sounds doable. You could put the table farther back to make up for the extra accuracy of a rifle/ carbine. Or instead of using real bowling pins, you could use some smaller reactive target, like a 6" tall section of 4"x4" or even 2 x4 lumber. Knock THEM over like they were bowling pins.

3-- The current .22 fun league at Hi-Caliber. Meets twice a month. Prizes awarded at the end of the second month (after the 4th shooting session). You have to attend 3 out of the 4 shoots to be eligible for a prize, but you can come for fun as often or as seldom as you like. Meets on Wed. nights for the last hour the range is open-- 7p.m. to 8 p.m.. Was well-attended the first couple matches after Hi-Caliber posted the info on their website and made up some flyers, but lately the attendance has dropped off. This involves shooting 20 shots per target, for 4 targets. All the targets you shoot each match cycle are the same-- fairly big bullseye targets. There is a rifle division and the pistol division.