Sandy Springs Police trade in their Sigs for Glocks ! ?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by NTA, Oct 2, 2007.

1. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

wonder what will happen to those old worn out Sigs ?

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/met ... 7&cxcat=13

Sandy Springs Police: Glock's newest models

By RALPH ELLIS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 10/02/07

Sandy Springs police officers have become poster material for international firearms manufacturer Glock Inc.

A dozen stern-faced Sandy Springs officers, along with their police chief, posed for a color promotional poster emblazoned with the words, "America's Newest Police Force With America's Newest GLOCK."

The angle: The Sandy Springs department, which is only 14 months old, is the first in the country to use Glock's new line of .45 caliber pistols.

Police training officer Perry Baxter said the department received no price break or perks.

"The benefit we got is they gave us several posters to give to our people," Baxter said.

He said the department essentially traded its old sidearms, Sig Sauers and holsters, to the distributor for about 100 Glock .45's and new holsters. Sandy Springs ended up paying about $4 for each Glock, Baxter said. He said the department later purchased 22 Glocks at the standard police price of $469 per weapon.

He noted that the new gun for new department angle was fleeting. Sandy Springs is not the newest police agency now, but probably was when the poster was shot.

"When you stop and think about it there aren't that many police agencies being formed," he said.

The .45's are made in Austria and assembled at the Glock plant in Smyrna, said Stephanie Plumeco, Glock director of marketing. Glock supplies firearms to about 65 percent of American law enforcement agencies, she said.

In the poster, Police Chief Gene Wilson stands in front with arms crossed. Behind him are 12 officers; two Belgian Malinois, Amos and Romy; six marked police vehicles and two landmarks that say Sandy Springs loud and clear: the King and Queen towers at Concourse office park.

Plumeco said the poster could be used for advertisements, catalogs or calendars. Glock has made similar posters of other police agencies, including some in Georgia.

"It's your basic publicity shot," she said.

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Well, thanks for that description and explanation...

3. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I spoke at length with the chief of police for a local dept on Saturday at the range, and he said they had just traded in their old Glock 21s for Sig 226 in .40.

He had just finished Sig armor school, too. They sent him free of charge for four weeks and he said he loved it.

4. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

they definitely won't trade the other way at $4 each :wink:

5. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

That's a funny statement, considering the average cop fires his pistol four times a year, at qualification.

Most cops are *not* gun people, and tend to basically ignore or neglect their guns, until they desperately need them.

6. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Funny you say that. I have found this to be true as well. Most cops I know only own 1 weapon (outside of their service pistol which they do not own). Many don't even carry off duty.

EDIT: BTW - What is so new about a Glock 21 in .45? Are they using the SF model?

7. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

This was my experience from when I was a cop...there were like three of us that were "into" guns...the rest could not really care less. In fact, my *supervisor* once showed up to the range to qualify and couldn't, because his revolver was LOCKED UP TIGHT from neglect, and the cylinder would not even turn. He laughed and thought that was funny, I was like
    :shock:

8. VolGrad

My buddy that is on the SWAT team claims that I have better toys than he does - with the exception of his full-auto AR.

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

What does local SWAT need with full-auto anything?

I mean, I understand they're fun, and I don't want to restrict gun ownership of any sort, but it comes back to the "militarization of the police" thing...

10. VolGrad

What does any citizen need full auto for? I think they could surely justify it before we could. Maybe they too are worried about Zombies.

11. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Full auto is normally used for laying down supressive fields of fire. I don't see a need for this type of tactic by any police force in the states. Police forces should at all time be highly concerned about the eventual location of each and every round fired. This can not be done when firing in full auto mode and is even difficult when using "burst" firing modes. So, while I do see a need for individual citizens to own full auto weapons (as proctected by the bill of rights in order to provide the people a means to resist an oppressive government) I do not see the need for such weapons to be used by police forces.

12. Axeman

Axeman New Member

:righton: Very well put.

13. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Sandy Springs was having trouble with their Sigs to the point that they lost confidence in them, and Glock saw an opportunity.

Sandy Springs isn't the first in the country to go with the 21SF by a long shot. In Georgia, the GSP and the Columbus State UPD switched to them a while back. The New York and PA state police has been using them as well as several agencies in Florida.

14. VolGrad

I understand the concept of accounting for each and every round fired and agree that is important in 99% of all shooting situations.

However, I still do not understand how one can argue that a private citizen (which has the right to arms, but is not required to be trained) should be allowed access to certain weapons but then disallow use of the same weapons to "professionals" (which are required to train and qualify with said weapons). Couldn't you argue the same point the LEO has the same "right" to full auto weapons?

I know many here do not have faith in LEOs and their degree of professionalism. In some specific cases they probably don't deserve our trust. However, in the majority of cases I am certain they could handle the responsibility. We aren't talking about regular patrol officers having full auto weapons here, only more "elite" units.

15. VolGrad

sorry - dang browser delay again

16. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I would be happy to say that police departments should have full auto weapons when someone shows me a bonified need for them. Those weapons are paid for by tax dollars and just like any other item paid for with my money I want to see a need before that money is spent. There are all sorts of rights we have as citizens that do not transfer to our professoinal lives. As a citizen I am free to make any statements I like about how the government does things. It's my right to free speach. As a government contractor if I say anything about how the governemnt does things in a public forum while acting in my professional capacity I will be fired and possibly jailed.

17. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I completely disagree. We need it to protect ourselves FROM them.

18. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Sure, but that's not the argument you made...you said you could see them needing it *before* "regular" citizens. Of course they should have the same rights as everybody else...unfortunately, they are "more equal" than we are.

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Plus, there's the whole deal of using tax money to pay for it...

20. ArmyCW4

ArmyCW4 Guest

IMHO- The incident in LA with the gunmen that went around shooting everything up full auto weapons while wearing body armor after robbing the bank would be enough to convince me that SWAT would need the same fire power as the BGs. SWAT was called upon to "resolve" the situation, and eventually had to go to the local Gunshop to retrieve some ARs. Like my Grandpa always said "Never bring a knife to a gun fight". All the criticism of LE aside, would you want the people that are going to respond to a situation that the normal LE can not handle to be out-gunned?