Salutations from Fort Gordon

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by CTI1(EXW), Jan 11, 2011.

1. CTI1(EXW)

CTI1(EXW) New Member

Good morning all!

I am active duty US Navy and have been stationed at Fort Gordon since March 2008. I am also an Iowa resident and holder of an Iowa non professional permit to carry weapons. Iowa did not historically reciprocate recognition of Georgia permits and as such I have not been able to carry since I have been stationed here. On January 1st, 2011, a new Iowa law recognizing weapons permits issued by all 50 states went into effect and from what I can tell Georgia law automatically honors permits by any state that in turn honor Georgia permits. Despite the relative clarity of this portion of Georgia law, the state AG's office and the Richmond County Sheriff's office have both told me to wait until Georgia "officially" recognizes Iowa permits to begin carrying. Am I required to wait?

Thanks for your help everyone :righton:

V/R,

CTI1(EXW)

2. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

Welcome!

I thought as active military duty you were able to carry.
    I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to correct me if I'm wrong.

3. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Active duty US military are exempt from needing a GWL in Georgia. You can carry on your active duty ID, (both CC or OC).

:righton:

4. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

Welcome from Hinesville & thank-you for your service! Wow...a Navy guy on an Army Post, that really is like a fish out of water :mrgreen:

5. rainmaker

rainmaker New Member

Welcome, and thank-you for your service :righton:

It is my understanding that you can carry in GA since you are on active duty here.

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Welcome aboard! Yes, you are able to carry in Georgia on your ID card alone. You may carry openly or concealed. You may also carry anyplace that a law enforcement officer carries. There is debate about public schools, because of Federal law. Research that, but you can carry into the state capitol man. Spread the word! Study the laws at the top of this page.

Bring a hundred of your buddies to the gun show on February 19-20th, and join GeorgiaCarry.org ! "The information clearing house for Georgia gun laws!"

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

8. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

Last time I was at the state capitol, I remember security telling a police officer that he could not carry into the capitol. I'm not sure if the rules have changed though.

9. CTI1(EXW)

CTI1(EXW) New Member

Wow, thanks for all the great info everyone :D I wish the AG or Sheriff's office would have told me I could just carry on my ID card.. I told them both I was active duty at the start of the conversation! :cantsay:

10. Swamper

Swamper Member

Welcome from Marietta and thank you for your sevice.
    One minute while I adjust my old sea legs.

GO NAVY

:righton: :righton: :righton:

11. amrote

amrote New Member

Welcome from Martinez. Thanks for your service. When I was in the AF stationed at Robins, I carried a copy of the state law in my wallet to avoid any confusion with the local SO.

12. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

Welcome to GPDO and thanks for your service.

13. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

:welcome: from Savannah!

The GWL is a good investment if you plan on driving out of state. Last I recall, at least 23 other states, ( perhaps it'll be 24 soon.. 8) ) honor a GWL.

It's one of the first things I applied for after I was stationed here.

14. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Welcome, from someone who was born and lived most of their life in Martinez, GA.

15. lespaulplayer

lespaulplayer New Member

Welcome and thank you for your service!

16. YZ#58

YZ#58 Member

Hello from Douglas County, I am also Ex Navy, and from NE IA. Big Hawkeye fan. Hope you like GA, It kind of grows on ya!

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

18. CTI1(EXW)

CTI1(EXW) New Member

Thanks for the info and warm welcome, everyone :D

Hello from Douglas County, I am also Ex Navy, and from NE IA. Big Hawkeye fan. Hope you like GA, It kind of grows on ya![/quote:1xfil9c5]

I'm from Elgin... aka CYCLONE COUNTRY 8)

19. YZ#58

YZ#58 Member

Well hello neighbor, PM sent.