Salesmen company "No Trespassing" notice

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Wings06j, May 4, 2016.

1. Wings06j

Wings06j Member

I keep getting door to door salesmen. Recently I got yet another visit from a company even though I had a "no soliciting" sign up. I politely told them I wasn't interested and turned to head back in (I step outside when people knock so I don't have to block the dogs the whole time). The salesman kept talking. So I pointed out the no soliciting sign and turned and walked inside. The salesman made some smart*** remark as I did so. I e-mailed the company with what's posted below. The question is what can I legally do next time someone comes on my property. Obviously I can call the police but is the individual liable for trespassing/harassment? I have no way to prove the company passed the info to the individual. Is the company liable? What will the police do? I'm not interested in monetary compensation. I just want these idiots to leave me alone. I sound like some grumpy old fart but I've had enough with door-to-door salesmen. I received an automated e-mail with a "ticket number" from the company but no actual response yet.

-------------------------
    To [Company]:

I am tired of rude salesmen coming onto my property trying to sell me stuff I don't want or need. I've told them repeatedly I'm not interested. I've even posted a no soliciting sign. The last salesman (about 5 minutes ago) got rude when I pointed out the sign to him. The next time a [company] representative steps foot on my property I'm filing a harassment complaint.

Address:
    XXXX XXXXXXXX XXX
    XXXXXXX, GA XXXXX

Stay off my property. This is your final notification. Please acknowledge receipt and then do not contact me further.

Respectfully,
    Wings06j
    Owner & Resident

2. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Two suggestions:

1. Answer your door in nothing but your underwear and eating peanut butter from the jar with your hand

2. Answer the door with a gun in your hand but at your side.

If neither of these work then I give up.

Ok, I guess the reasonable answer would be to send them a certified postal letter informing them that any further contact on your property and you will be charging them for trespassing and the letter serves as notice to not enter your property.

If you live in an apartment then I guess you could change out trespassing for harassment.

Edit: Or you could just turn on your sprinklers.

Last edited: May 4, 2016

3. jato

jato New Member

In my city you need a permit to solicit. You must show that permit if ask. I call the police on solicitors who don't have permits and ones that don't honor the "No Solicitors " sign on the door.

The police do come and they issue a citation to the solicitors.

4. Santa01

Santa01 Member

I vote for the sprinkler, AND the underware.

5. Wings06j

Wings06j Member

I should have said trespassing in the e-mail but I was still annoyed when I wrote it. It is a single family house so no issues as far as common areas or anything like that.

6. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

This is not an either/or. If you do both together (or, in my case, with only an adult diaper and a gun belt on, eating mayonnaise straight from the jar) the solicitors will NEVER come back.

7. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

Salesmen company "No Trespassing" notice

These rock, auto aiming too, this will totally chase them off

ScareCrow Motion Activated Animal Repellent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000071NUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_TaRkxbH95SCS3

Hell, you should put one out front just for the show. Sip a mint julep on the front porch and openly invite them to come back!

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  8. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I installed a security camera for the driveway and front door so me and my wife can see who is on our property before ever answering the door.

9. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

As they stomp off, visibly perturbed, respond with-- y'all come back now, ya heah?

Nemo

10. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Unless you call before you come over, I ain't answering the door.

Az

11. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Gwinnett has ordinances about soliciting that cover signs on residences, handbills on cars, getting donations at traffic lights, etc. You could check what your county has for that.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Bingo! It's irrelevant now that I'm in the condo, but when I was in my house I didn't answer the door if I want expecting someone. Everyone knew to call fist.

13. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

That's pretty funny. I'd forgotten about those things.

Word of caution though. My neighbor had thousands of $$ in damages to his finished basement when he left a faucet open and an outdoor hose burst. It wasn't to one of those, but you still have to leave the water on all the time.

14. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Criminal trespass requires specific and individual notice. A general no trespassing or no soliciting warning is not a specific and individual notice.

The state law that required a license from the Probate Court for peddling has been repealed; so, unless there is a local ordinance to the contrary, there is not legal prohibition against door to door stuff no matter how many signs are posted.

15. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

You could do what others do to keep unwanted people away from their home.....and put up a fence around your property.

16. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Municode will show if you have a county or city ordinance about peddling. We have one in Cobb County, requiring licensing for door to door sales.

17. commodore_dude

commodore_dude Active Member

Alpharetta has a do not call-like list where you can send them a letter and they will put your address on a list that is handed out along with the solicitation permits, telling permit holders not to knock on your door. Don't know whether it works or not yet as I just found out about it a few weeks ago, and had one solicitation shortly after mailing it in so I doubt I was on the list when that company got their permits. I have been meaning to get an acceptable looking no solicitors sign too, though.

18. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

First thing: (which you did) get the person's name, and their organization. A card, or brochure. For contact info. Point out the sign, and BE SURE TO REMEMBER VERBATIM the snarky remark - so you can report it to the org.

Or release the hounds.

19. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

In the case of Gwinnett, they have:

https://www2.municode.com/library/g...odeId=PTIICOOR_CH18BU_ARTIXCASO_S18-239UNPRAC

There used to be a regulation describing exactly what the signed looked like with a facsimile. I don't see that anymore. They may have removed that.

20. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

DeKalb requires a one to have a permit. So far, none have had a permit. My HOA also prohibits soliciting. Using both guidelines, some of my neighbors have been quite successful in chasing people off.