sales tax

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by MewsicLovr, Oct 5, 2017.

1. MewsicLovr

MewsicLovr Member

Talked to a dealer today and he said that if I order through him, I would pay sales tax, but if I order online (and have it shipped to him), I do not. Then I researched a tiny bit and it seems this is actually true. Anyone know if this is the case for GA? If true, I'm a little surprised the dealer admitted this.

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Have you ever purchased anything from an individual, eBay, Amazon, or any other web-based enterprise? "Brick and mortar" stores located in a state must collect all taxes, but it would be a daunting task for any internet bases seller to determine the appropriate tax rate for any particular individual.

There are bills in Congress to make online sales collect taxes, but the database to hold the hundreds of state, local, and even city taxes would be overwhelming.

3. MewsicLovr

MewsicLovr Member

I usually buy through amazon and pay sales tax there...

4. MewsicLovr

MewsicLovr Member

The reason I'm asking is because I thought I read a thing somewhere that said the FFL would collect sales tax, but now I can't find anything to back that up except in select states.

5. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Amazon has a phisical presence in ga.

6. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Amazon has been collecting state and city taxes for about a year I think. All states.
    Trying to stay on the good side of the tax collectors I suppose.

7. Casual User

Casual User Member

I've never paid sales tax on firearms I've ordered from other states. Some places even offer free shipping to your FFL. I like to support the local guy but sometimes it's easier to order online.

8. carnut

carnut Member

You don't pay the FFL for the gun so they don't collect the taxes (if taxable), you pay the seller for the gun. If a seller does charge tax (have not seen one) you can shop around for one that does not. I use Cherokee Gun & Pawn in Canton they do not charge any FFL fee. Ends up a good deal, no tax and no FFL. . However their prices are fairly competitive and I have purchased from them on some models and come out even or better with paying the 6% GA tax.

9. Casual User

Casual User Member

Not surprising the dealer would tell you that. Probably depends on the item you have your heart set on. Most items my LGS is very competitive, but most of my purchases are sorta impulse items, or I've got a vague idea sorta of what I want, and then something in the rack or the display case winks at me and gives me that " you know you want me." look.
    Earlier this year before it was lost in a tragic boating accident, I decided I needed a 22-250 left hand, as a Ground hog day present to myself. Not something the dealer would want on the shelf if I decided not to complete the transaction.

10. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

A service developed in cooperation with .gov exists. Merchants pay for the privilege of using it.

https://www.avalara.com/learn/whitepapers/streamlined-sales-tax/
    http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org/
    https://www.taxjar.com/pricing/

As a Ga resident you are supposed to report sales tax on yourself if not collected by the seller.

"If a taxpayer purchases taxable goods or services in Georgia without the payment of tax, the taxpayer must accrue and remit the tax. O.C.G.A. § 48-8-30(g)."

https://dor.georgia.gov/what-subject-sales-and-use-tax

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

They have a distribution center here which is why you pay sales tax. As do many other companies.

12. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

I've noticed that if I buy something through Amazon but it is actually sold by a 3rd party vendor, not Shipped & Sold by Amazon.com, many times, it does not apply the sales tax, since the actual seller does not have a GA presence.

13. tsangster

tsangster Member

Georgia’s Amazon Law

In 2012, the Georgia legislature amended the definition of dealer in Section 48-8-2 of the state’s sales tax statute. The new definition has the effect of requiring out-of-state Internet retailers with no physical presence in Georgia to collect and pay Georgia’s sales tax. More specifically, an out-of-state Internet retailer needs to collect sales tax from Georgia customers if that retailer:
    has an agreement with one or more Georgia residents to pay for customer referrals obtained via a link on the Georgia residents’ websites (a click-through arrangement), and
    the retailer’s cumulative gross receipts from such directed sales to Georgia customers exceeds $50,000 during the preceding 12 months.
    Similar laws have been at least considered, and sometimes enacted, in various states around the country. These laws are commonly known as Amazon laws. As you might guess, the name refers to Amazon.com, which is a large, Internet-based retailer that does not have a physical presence in many states, and therefore, under the default sales tax rule, need not collect sales tax from customers in those states. As customers in those states often do not pay the corresponding use tax, Amazon’s sales, and those of other large online retailers, such as Overstock.com, are frequently understood to constitute significant lost tax revenue for those states.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/georgia-internet-sales-tax.html

14. Dan

Dan Cumberland County, Maine

Some folks will buy online/out of state just to circumvent taxation. I can certainly understand not wanting to pay $180 in taxes for the hypothetical $3k firearm you want to buy (I'm using Cobb's 6% tax rate as an example).

This really sucks for the brick and mortar gun stores.

15. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Online sales tax is another piece of crap legislation designed by businesses to put money on their pocket. Amazon wants it because it's a pass through and they have the infrastructure in place to shoulder it, giving them a competitive advantage. The tax calculation services want it because small businesses like me will have to pay them monthly. The state wants it because they can tap into a tax base outside their borders. It's a straight up money and power grab, sold to the ignorant, and labeled as "fairness".

If we are going to collect sales tax, it should be collected at the point of sale, where the seller is headquartered.