Saint Patrick's Day Mess: Savannah, GA

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Mar 17, 2019.

1. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Go to Mardi gras sometime and take a walk after the parade goes thru. You put alot of people in an area and mix in alcohol you get the same result every time.

Motopackin likes this.

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

It's just people being too lazy to take care of themselves. Look at all the coolers left behind because they didn't want to lug it back to where they brought it from. If they cared about themselves they would have loaded their trash into their cooler and took it with them.

Sort of sounds like the left mindset doesn't it?

3. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

This has been happening for a long time. Much worse in the last few years. As I see it the turning point was when people were not allowed to enter the squares until 6am, I think is the time. A couple of decades ago just about every square had the same families setting up in them, for decades. They were set up well before 6am. It was a family affair and they did a lot better job of taking care of their family's 'spot'.

The partiers and the city could both do a better job. The city does an unbelievable job cleaning up, but there are never enough trash receptacles or port-a-johns. The partiers could at least bring trash bags and have all their empties bagged up for the workers to toss in the trucks. The partiers that trash the place know that the city will clean up after them and they take advantage of that.

4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

My point was all of the trash left was brought in some kind of container. Drink cans and bottles could have been put back in the coolers, other disposables could have been put back in what ever they were brought in, Be it bags or picnic baskets and taken home with them and disposed of properly. Those idiots were so lazy they didn't even take their coolers. It's the good ol' left attitude of someone else will take care of me.

5. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

If boxes/bags/coolers were banned in the name of safety, that all comes out of pockets or local vendors.

Bolted down receptacles probably cost more to install and maintain than once-a-year cleanup crews too. Atlanta has crews in golf cart sized dumpers that come through every 20-30 minutes and every receptacle is within sight of 2-3 others minimum. The difference is Atlanta does this so frequently that the human and vehicle infrastructure gets exercised year-round. I’m curious what Savannah’s frequency is for significantly sized gatherings for the sake of comparison.

6. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Looking at the photo there are plenty of coolers left behind. Not the junk styrofoam junk either.

7. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Savannah has had this problem almost as long as they've have a major St. Paddys Day Parade and party atmosphere (party sometimes lasting a week) downtown.

The city is on the ball though and will have it cleaned by the end of the day of the parade. In fact street sweepers and clean up crews are at the tailend of the parade.

The partying is usually not as trash producing and the city works round the clock to clean up after it. They also make money off of it with very high fines for littering, public urination, fighting, etc. (fines like $150-$500ea).

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Disgraceful.

Nobody believes in personal responsibility anymore.

If you can't clean up after yourself, you shouldn't get that intoxicated to begin with.

9. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

Maybe it's from hiking and camping, but I've always followed the addages of 'leave no trace' and 'pack it in, pack it out'.

10. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

This is the way I was brought up. Nothing was left on the ground and if the ground was disturbed it was corrected. Even trenches around the tent were filled and restored as good as could be.

11. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

Well that and being raised to respect myself and others, and to clean up after myself...

EJR914 likes this.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I was always taught-- leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories.

Nemo

Wheedle likes this.
  13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Nasty pigs.

That picture is shocking.

EJR914 likes this.
  14. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Wish my kids and I could have been there a bit before they took the pic. Collecting aluminum cans is one of the few ways my young guys can make money. Looks like most of the cans are crushed already too. Bonus!

heh.

It is sad folks can be that sorry.