Saiga 12 Convertion Gunsmith

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by Nothclif, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Nothclif

Nothclif Member

Looking to get a Saiga 12ga in the future, are there any gunsmiths in the metro Atlanta area that will do the conversion(moving the trigger group forward) on them?

2. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

Do it yourself! If I can, anyone can. Lots of good info over on the Saiga forum. Simple hand tools are all that's required.

3. Nothclif

Nothclif Member

Thought about it...need to check to see if I have the tools to do it.

How long did yours take? Did you have any trouble?

4. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Easy as pie. (But I have a harder time making a decent pie than I do converting a S12) It's an AK, they build these things in caves in Afghanistan with worse tools than you have. It's so easy that modern cavemen do it.

Yes, you can do it. Dremel is about all you need specialty wise besides say a pin punch and and your basic household tools like a hammer, etc.

Get one of the DIY trigger guards that already has the handgrip screw mount in it and go to town.

(Use some masking tape when dremeling off the rivet heads to protect against the occasional dremel jumps. If you mess up the tape, replace it. Dremel until the rivet head is super thin, then punch the rivets out. The rest of it is downhill from there. Follow all the other instructions you find online, PM me if you have any questions and decide to give it a try)

5. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

It was about 3-4 hrs of work in reality; it took me about 3-4 months. :shattered: I restored/relocated the FCG, replaced the trigger guard, stock, forgrip, and gas plug, and added a pistol grip. Then I had Brian Ott to do an outstanding DuraCoat job on it.
    Tools needed: drill, good set of drill bits, center punch, set of punches, mallet, thin needle-nose pliers, hemistats, dremel tool w/grinder, polishing, and cut-off disks, lots of patients, band-aids, and beer.
    There's some really good how-to's with pics on http://forum.saiga-12.com, a few of the vendors over there have videos showing some of the more difficult tasks, and there are lot's of pics to give you ideas of how and what to modify. Mine's pretty simple - pretty much back to the way it was intended to be. If you want a gunsmith to restore it for you, there are several over there that can do it, including Cadiz (the authorized warranty shop in the US), and Tromix.

6. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Wow! You did a lot of work hma.

Mine, I didn't have to refinish. The very very small shiny spots where the rivets were were easily touched with a black sharpie and aren't noticeable at all.

Mine, very simple...

Tromix DIY trigger guard. (Though I have seen a more faithful looking trigger guard with grip screw mount in it for sale lately)

Tapco S12 modified G2 trigger group with proper shepherd's crook.

Build:
    Dremeled out the rivets for the trigger guard, bent and removed trigger guard with pliers. Dremeled out the rivets for the old trigger group (the 2 in the rear), removed unnecessary parts, installed new DIY trigger guard with loctite red, installed new FCG, installed handgrip, threw away old buttstock, installed NATO length AK buttstock, and, done. About 4 hours.

7. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

:lol: Not really! I made it more work for myself than was necessary.
    I probably didnt need to, but kinda wanted to; and Brian did such a great job on it.
    Sounds about the same; I drilled the FCG rivets first and believe I dremeled the ones for the trigger guard. What did you do with the holes left from the old trigger group? I had wanted to get them welded shut, but ended up just plugging them with some pieces of plastic.

8. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

I tried drilling the rivets at first, but i wasn't very good at keeping the drill bit straight. Dremel solved my problem.

My holes are currently still holes.....
    When I get around to it, I'm going to put real rivets in and rivet them. I got a tool to do it, modified bolt cutters.

Another person I know came up with their S12 and they had purchased some fake rivets that set in the holes. It looked good. He said he got it from "saiga parts" or something like that, I saw the website once but can't find it right now. I think it was this site, but I cannot find them on it at the moment.

9. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

Center punch helps a lot when getting the bit started. Here's what I used to plug the holes: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-149/Saiga-FCG-hole-plugs/Detail. Got most of my parts from these guys too; lightening fast shipping!

10. Nothclif

Nothclif Member

I've been reading up all night on it and do feel better about doing it myself, so I'll probably give it a whirl when I get the funds together for one :).

Looking to get one of the conversion kits from Carolina shooter supply since they look like they have everything (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com ... KIT/Detail).

How do you have yalls set up? Looking at getting just a standard wood buttstock/pistol grip, Chaos Rail handguard, carolina barrel shroud, and polishing the bolt carrier...think all that is going to cost me as much as the saiga itself lol.

11. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Back to front:

Kvar Nato length black buttstock.
    Kvar AK handgrip
    Tromix DIY trigger guard from Mississippi Auto Arms
    Tapco modified G2 trigger group from Mississippi Auto Arms

For now: Surefire foregrip w/ picatinny rails so i can have a VFG.

Finally, topped off with a PolyChoke adjustable choke and a Kobra sight.