Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The humidity seems to be getting too high in my safe.

I have a dehumidifier with the silicone beads, that are rechargeable, but it doesn't seem to be working too well.

Any recommendations on a dehumidifier?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Golden rod has been in mine from day one. I use to have a gauge but it never went above 20-30

·
Señor Member
1,468 Posts
Is your safe in a basement? They are often very humid. I use a
large container of silicone beads in each of my safes and they
seem to work well. If your room itself is humid perhaps a room
dehumidifier would help - in more ways than one.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
The humidity seems to be getting too high in my safe.

I have a dehumidifier with the silicone beads, that are rechargeable, but it doesn't seem to be working too well.

Any recommendations on a dehumidifier?
How do you know it's too high? I have an old humidity gauge that NEVER goes below 50 or above 80. It's useless, but part of a gauge set. Some just aren't reliable, so how do you know?

In addition to the question on is the safe in the basement, how often do you open the door and thus circulate the air?
How large is the safe vs. how much silicone?
How is the safe sealed? Maybe some insulation might help, but if you're in and out constantly, probably not.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
How do you know it's too high? I have an old humidity gauge that NEVER goes below 50 or above 80. It's useless, but part of a gauge set. Some just aren't reliable, so how do you know?
A couple of years back I bought one of these and it seems to line up with the dehumidififer set points. It says centigrade only, but there is a solder pad in back for °F readout.
https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-...e-Hygrometer-Indoor-p-51992.html?rmmds=search

Shipping from China is slow. If you want it faster, and more expensive, try here:
https://www.amazon.com/SUKRAGRAHA-T...qid=1507556097&sr=8-7&keywords=humidity+gauge

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is your safe in a basement? They are often very humid. I use a
large container of silicone beads in each of my safes and they
seem to work well. If your room itself is humid perhaps a room
dehumidifier would help - in more ways than one.
Yes it is in the basement. I have a dehumidifier but it died so I need to replace it. I think that should help with keeping the humidity down.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

In addition to the question on is the safe in the basement, how often do you open the door and thus circulate the air?
How large is the safe vs. how much silicone?
How is the safe sealed? Maybe some insulation might help, but if you're in and out constantly, probably not.
I have a hygrometer and it usually reads between 50 and 60.

Its a small safe and I only open it 1 or 2 times a week.

The silicone dehumidifier I have holds only about a cup of beads.

I think that's parts of the problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A couple of years back I bought one of these and it seems to line up with the dehumidififer set points. It says centigrade only, but there is a solder pad in back for °F readout.
https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-...e-Hygrometer-Indoor-p-51992.html?rmmds=search

Shipping from China is slow. If you want it faster, and more expensive, try here:
https://www.amazon.com/SUKRAGRAHA-T...qid=1507556097&sr=8-7&keywords=humidity+gauge
The SUKRAGRAHA looks like great deal plus knowing the inside temp is a nice feature.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Get a good dehumidifier for the basement that will hold <50% relative humidity and the safe will be taken care of. I use a Santa-Fe Advance 2 dehumidifier that is set to hold 48% RH and have no issues with my safe and the basement feels much better.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get a good dehumidifier for the basement that will hold <50% relative humidity and the safe will be taken care of. I use a Santa-Fe Advance 2 dehumidifier that is set to hold 48% RH and have no issues with my safe and the basement feels much better.
I agree. Buying a new one this weekend.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
I just dug into the back of the gun safe and found at least one quarter-sized spot of rust on an SWD 9mm pistol, with the gray parkerized finish.

My plastic containers of Damp-Rid aren’t doing the job!

:(.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Well that's disappointing. I use the rechargeable ones. Same stuff really. Which reminds me, I need to recharge them.

·
Señor Member
1,468 Posts
I don't think Damp Rid is appropriate for the job. Desiccants absorb and hold moisture
but with Damp Rid you end up with a container of water. What's more I believe it is calcium chloride, a salt. Not so good.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I don't think Damp Rid is appropriate for the job. Desiccants absorb and hold moisture
but with Damp Rid you end up with a container of water. What's more I believe it is calcium chloride, a salt. Not so good.
That's good to know. I was thinking they were the same. They are not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.