Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most know I have been a Glock shooter for about 2 years. I recently handled a M&P 9 fullsize. I really like the feel of it and it seemed to point naturally to me. Are they a good gun for the most part? I have been all over the web looking and for the most part they are given good reviews. I am mainly looking to see if its worth getting one to try out over buying a Gen 4 G19.They run close in price around me but wanting to know if there are any adantages to getting one.

·
Registered
671 Posts
jmathis84 said:
As most know I have been a Glock shooter for about 2 years. I recently handled a M&P 9 fullsize. I really like the feel of it and it seemed to point naturally to me. Are they a good gun for the most part? I have been all over the web looking and for the most part they are given good reviews. I am mainly looking to see if its worth getting one to try out over buying a Gen 4 G19.They run close in price around me but wanting to know if there are any adantages to getting one.
I was a long time glock shooter (I'm still a fan) but I switched to an M&P9 fullsize about a year and a half ago. The stock trigger is not very good; however, apex makes some great drop in parts that can polish that turd very easily and make it a great trigger. I almost sold mine until I had a friend do some trigger work on it.

I like the ergos much better than the glock but to be honest I haven't had a lot of trigger time with the Gen4 glocks.

Early models had some issues with the mag catch and striker assemblies but all of those issues have been worked out with factory revisions. Mine is an early model and I didn't have any issues but some did.

M&Ps have gained a lot of ground on the competition circuit in the last few years which is usually a good sign of a worthy and reliable platform because those guys send a lot of rounds downrange.

I have no problems carrying the fullsize in an MTAC and I am skinny guy.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
The ergonomics of the M&P agree with me better than thise of a Glock. I used to have an M&P9 Full Size than ran like a Swiss watch and would any eat any and all ammo.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I handled a full size M&P 45 at the shop the other weekend and really liked the ergonomics, "pointability", and the looks of the gun. However, I could not get past the trigger. Felt very gritty or something to me (could have been that one particular gun). Ended up buying another 1911.

I wasn't aware of the after market triggers. Might be worth another look if that trigger could be smoothed out.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I am just really curious about them.While I have held one I havent had a chance to fire one. Trigger Time has one I plan to shoot before I decide. I like the feel of the grip and the way it pointed for me.If I had the cash I would just pick both but I have to choose between the two.It will be a carry piece but a HD gun for around the house. The Fiance shoots 9mm better than anything so I went with these two. She isnt any help because she likes the feel of both. I taught her to shoot with a 19 but want to try something different if it will be worth it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got the full size 45 and love the way it shoots and feels, I held the Glock and bought the M&P
FYI, my wife shoots it better than me

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I love my M&P's, but I still see the relevance of the Glock compact series. S&W M&P series only consists of full and sub-compacts. Glock bridge the gap with the G19/23/32 size.

So while I love my M&P's, I still own a G19.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your right about that Melissa. There are more parts for the Glocks. I am just really intrested in the M&P series. It has become a hard decision. I plan to shoot it first.Repeat I see your point. The Glock is always relevant. I have shot and had them for 2 years. The main thing I want to know is the reliability of them.I can only purchase one gun and need it to do what is called for.I am moving this weekend and want a house gun and new carry piece.The 40 seems to have less issues than the 9mm M&P from what I have found. I may go up in caliber to a 40.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I got the full size M&P 40 and 45, I love them both! I also have a Glock 20 which is sweet also but if the offered a 10mm in a M&P I'd trade it in! Thinking of getting a m&p 9 myself but can't decide yet, I wanna shoot a G17 before I make my decision, only because after market stuff is plentiful and cheaper. Been eying the M&P 9pro and the G34!!
I must say I like the way my M&Ps feel and shoot better than the g20 but again its a 10mm so I'm sure its different. Never had the first issue with either of my MPs the will even feed spent casings!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks ZTC for theinfo about the M&P. I like knowing about actual field experience with them.You can read about them all day and not find out half as much as someone with actual time behind the sights.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have the M&P9c and love it. The extended mags with the 4th finger grip on them make it a very nice sized piece yet still small enough to conceal.

I am in the process of replacing it with the same exact model that has the thumb safety on it. If you're interested in checking out the compact version and picking up used (~500 rounds through it flawlessly), shoot me a PM!

Cheers.

-Jeff

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've got a M&P Pro 9, and agree that when new, the trigger felt "gritty". Several hundred or so rounds later, it was fine. All trace of rough road was gone. That said, it's got longer takeup, and a heavier break that's not quite as crisp as my Dan Wesson Pointman 45ACP 1911, with it's 2.4lb trigger. :wink:

I don't think it's ever had a FTF, and I've sent 1000's of my handloads through it. LOVE the way it handles.

PS - the "Pro 9" is the full size, with a better trigger than the "non-pro" models.

BTW - you're not far from me - if you'd like to shoot it, just let me know. I go to American Classic, or wouldn't mind taking a ride up to Wilson Shoals WMA.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Jeff Ill give it some thought and let ya know this evening. It is good to see people are having good things to say about the M&P's. That makes my decision a little easier. Editing thanks for the offer. Next time you visit the range let me know I would like to give it a run.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Pro series has 5" barrel. They do list a pro series with the 4.25" barrel but I have never seen one on the street.

The pro series trigger is better than the stock trigger. IMO, the Apex trigger parts produce a much better trigger than even the pro series trigger. Takeup, reset, and break can all be enhanced with these parts. I have not tried the RAM from Apex but it is supposed to enhance the "tactile" feel of the reset which glock has perfected.

Reliability: Mine has over 8,400 rounds through it without any issues. It will run a load down to 115 power factor with the stock recoil spring.

Unless you want to put goofy crap on your pistol, M&Ps have plenty of aftermarket products made for them.

I will say that detail stripping of an M&P is more difficult than a glock.

·
Registered
302 Posts
jmathis84 said:
The 40 seems to have less issues than the 9mm M&P from what I have found. I may go up in caliber to a 40.
The S&W M&P was designed for the .40S&W.

For a testament to their reliability, look to law enforcement. A large number of LEA have switched to the M&Ps, and in order to steal those LEA from Glock, I'd imagine they had to prove at least as reliable. Also check Tod Greene's site, I believe he did a torture test. And the recent contract bid for the ATF's new firearm was big news because of how much information was released to the public irt testing procedures and results. Sig failed (and contested it, hence the info being released) but both Glock and the M&P were very competitive. Ultimately the purchase contract went to Glock, but the M&P was also approved for purchase.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ty thanks for that info I didnt know that. Tap its good to see yors had been good to you for 8,400 rounds. I had planned to get the apex kit for mine when I get it. I have a very good gunsmith where Im moving who will install it for me. I think i will opt for the 40 S&W version . They are the same price as the 9mm but have the larger round. I am just waiting on income taxes to get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have an M&P 40 full size as my every day carry gun. I purchased it new in 2007, and have shot it at several times a month since then. I have also used it to shoot in the bowling pins competitions at Bulls eye.

The only issue I had with was a run of failure to ejects, once I switched boxes of ammo the problem stopped. Same brand different batch, I don't think the first box had enough powder in it.

The trigger has a fair amount of "slack" in it, which I only really notice when I shoot it after my 1911. When you take the slack up its crisp.

The interchangeable grips are a nice touch as well.

The gun is more accurate than I am, and has shot a wide array of ammo with very few issues.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to see your has served you well Wolfram.The more poeple I see haveing good experience with them makes me fell better about the gun.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Great gun. I don't know how many rounds I have through my fullsize 40. Easily in the 3-5000 range. My trigger has always been smooth and light. Never had a failure of any kind. Pleasure to shoot and very accurate.

Once I swap out the stock irons for tritium sights it'll be gtg.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts