Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find a model designation on this 38 special revolver. Serial number is 6 digits and starts with 961xxx. It is in really nice shape, a guy at work needed some money, hopefully I didn't over spend but it is in real nice shape

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After looking again, there is a faint "S" on the butt, not right up against the serial #. I believe this makes it a post war K frame from 46 to 49

Would that be correct?

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,939 Posts
It appears to be a pre model 10 k-frame M&P.38. Mine is 1945 with and s stamp and 942xxx serial number. It’s an incredible shooter, and is very smooth and accurate.

Wood Window Door Gas Automotive lighting

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,215 Posts
It appears to be a pre model 10 k-frame M&P.38. Mine is 1945 with and s stamp and 942xxx serial number. It’s an incredible shooter, and is very smooth and accurate.

View attachment 18898
Open the cylinder and look under where it closes against the frame for the model number.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
S&W did not designate their handguns by "model numbers" until the mid-1950s and it was a few years after that, 1958 I think, when they started stamping the model numbers on the frame where the cylinder crane meets with it when the cylinder is closed.

I've seen and fired 1940s era K- frame Smiths that did not have any model number stamped on them. But the same basic gun with a few minor tweaks would later be designated the model 10.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,171 Posts
S&W Model 9 3/4. Harry Potter special.

Yes a thats comical comment.

Really nice wheelgun there. My next purchase (after the new King Cobra) will be a S&W Model 10.

Nemo

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,939 Posts
S&W Model 9 3/4. Harry Potter special.

Yes a thats comical comment.

Really nice wheelgun there. My next purchase (after the new King Cobra) will be a S&W Model 10.

Nemo
What did you say about a King Cobra? No, this one is not for sale.

Revolver Everyday carry Trigger Air gun Gun barrel

Wood Fashion accessory Personal protective equipment Blade Paint

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,171 Posts
Yeps, just like that.

Nemo

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
PSrumors, your revolver seems to be wearing the post-1968 style of Smith & Wesson K frame square butt stocks. They do not have a diamond around the screw hole. Older guns made before about 1968 would have the older style stocks with a diamond oriented vertically as shown in Adam5's gun pic.

But, it's not unusual for people to change out well-worn or cracked old stocks with current or recent manufacture stocks.
Your gun could be older than the grips it's wearing.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
Wood Gesture Plant Font Metal

Pre-1968 "diamond" stocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts